Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda Grass Problems

Posted by kyastanley TX (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 23:04

Good evening, normally each year my yard is one of the better looking yards on the street, but not for this year. I have a lot of low/brown spots in my Bermuda grass that have developed. I am not sure what to do to fix the low spots. Do I need to put sand over the spots to let the grass fill in? I have put down two applications of fertilizer already once in April and in May. I was using a high nitrogen based fertilizer.
I am in Fort Worth, TX. We are under 2 day a week watering restrictions. I have four zones where I water about 10 to 15 minutes for each zone. Any help would be appreciated.

I have posted a couple of pics of my yard as of today.

Thanks,
Kurt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda Grass Problems

I'm no expect like some of the other guys on here but I think they are going to fuss at you for your watering schedule. From my understanding you are suppose to water to get ~1" per zone which is a lot longer than the 10 to 15 minutes. More like an hour per zone. The good thing is that you only have to do that once or twice a month.

Also what type of fertilizer are you using, organic or inorganic like Scotts?

o

I have four zones where I water about 10 to 15 minutes for each zone.

Too little, probably, so you are not getting water deep to the roots, and they are drying out. And too often.

http://ag.arizona.edu/azmet/phx/lawnstep.htm explains how to calculate your water output.

Texas A&M has a lawn watering calculator

http://texashelp.tamu.edu/hot-topics/?p=1820

=============
Once you know this, water once a week. If runoff is a problem, water in several sessions by setting additional start times. I have a 4-station lawn so each station gets X minutes with an hour between start times to let the water soak in.

o

Thanks for the replies. I will increase my watering on my zones. On the fertilizer I have used inorganic fertilizer. The numbers for that fertilizer are 28-0-4 and 29-0-4.

o

Best way to do this is using tuna cans to find out how long it takes to fill up at least one inch of water.

My biggest beef with the automatic sprinklers is that they get too misty during windy condition on watering restriction (only once a week). They just evaporate into the air so you end up wasting water. Best time to do it is midnight-6am.

What's funny is that yesterday, my neighbor asked me if I just watered the yard and I said no, that was 2 weeks ago. She was surprised. Watering deeply and infrequently is the key. I care more about trees than grass but grass greatly benefits from that anyway.

o

Besides the water issue, would it benefit the grass any to fill in more quickly if I put sand down in the bare spots?

Kurt

o

Nah. Just water deeply once a week if no significant rainfall and they will fill in fast (did you fertilize recently?).

o

You can also get some liquid iron (Bonide) and spray that out per the label rate. It helps green up if you are at all iron deficient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here