Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Zoysia scalping near beginning of lawn mowing season

ZoysiaSod
10 years ago

Last year the lowest I scalped my zoysia was about 1.6 inches, IIRC. That's my second lowest setting on the mower. The very lowest setting is about 1.3 inches. I didn't think I could adjust the mower to a setting between 1.6 and 1.3 inches, but I stumbled upon a way to do so. Adjust 2 kitty-corner wheels to the 1.6-inch setting, and adjust the other 2 kitty-corner wheels at the lower 1.3-inch setting. This will give you an in-between cutting height of about 1.45 inches (about midway between the 2 settings). Interpolation, right. Nice, huh. Learned that word from algebra class years ago. Cool word. So "interpolate your mower" [chuckle] if you need an in-between cutting height that the regular wheel settings don't allow for.

This now means you have many more wheel settings to choose from, because you can lower or raise anywhere from 1 to 3 of your 4 wheels to a different height.

Yowy, cutting the zoysia at 1.45 inches filled the bag really fast--much faster I think than when I cut the zoysia at 1.6 inches. After 500 square feet, I was surprised to find the bag completely full. And it's not like the zoysia was that tall to begin with, because only 5 days earlier, I had cut the zoysia to a height of 1.6 inches, also using the bag.

Now that the front zoysia has been scalped to 1.45 inches, I'll probably maintain a 2-inch mowing height for the rest of the season, or possibly an interpolated 1.8 inches. So many more heights to choose from now when you interpolate the few wheel settings the factory gives you :-)

Comments (2)

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a couple sidenotes that recently occurred to me: By kitty-corner, of course, I mean wheels that are diagonal to each other, so Front Left and Rear Right.

Also, obviously this won't work with single-lever deck-height control. You know, that's the feature some mowers have that lets you change the deck's height with a single lever, instead of forcing you to change the deck's height by having to individually adjust each of 4 wheels. Last year I thought single-lever deck mowers were the cat's meow, but now that I stumbled upon mower wheel interpolating, give me 4 individually adjustable wheels anyday! So many more cutting heights to choose from! Lovez it!

In my book, single-lever control is not a benefit (and high-end feature) anymore since it robs you of interpolating. Would you believe even Walmart this year has a mower with single-lever deck control. Saw it tonight. It's called the Brute (that's its brandname) and it has a Briggs And Stratton engine with rear-wheel transmission for $217. Also has a wide 22-inch cutting diameter. Didn't see the horsepower printed on the box, though.

Last year, single-lever deck control cost you big bucks and was found only in high-end models, but like I said, single-lever deprives you of many height options. I'm not interested in it anymore.

Lawn newbies may be wondering what the excitement is about a change in cutting height of 0.15 inches or 0.25 inches. It's counter-intuitive, but when it comes to grass, a small change in cutting height makes a big difference, even a quarter-inch (0.25). You can visibly see the difference between a lawn cut at 2 inches and the same lawn cut 0.25 inches lower or higher. The eye definitely picks up on the small quarter-inch change in cutting height, and even a 0.15 inch change.

• kbinmd
    10 years ago

My B&D electric has the single lever adjust. But now I'm finding i have to cut more frequently because the Zoysia is so thick and the mower bogs. I'll break out the gas mower and test your interpo whatever technique ;)