Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this bright green grass or weed?

Posted by fuller9779 MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 23:20

Hello,
I'm new to this site and hoping someone can help me. I have a bunch of bright almost neon green grass spots popping up in my yard. They stand out from the darker green grass. See photo. I'm wondering what it is. And what is the best way to contain it before it takes over.
I live south if Boston, MA.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this bright green grass or weed?

The picture of a single spot makes it tough to determine what it is, but the description makes it worth checking to see if it could be Poa Trivialis. PT is a shallow-rooted grass that prefers (but isn't limited to) moister, shadier areas. Pull a handful of it out and inspect it for whitish root-like stolons that run along the ground.

Poa Triivialis is notoriously difficult to control, and many people resort to using RoundUp to kill patches (and a margin around the patches), or digging out the patches.

o

Thank you. I'll check that out. I'll try to get a better picture too.

o

That sure does look like triv from your photo.

o

Poa Trivialis for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here