Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to remove sand from pool area before putting topsoil?

Posted by p_bishopp28 NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 23:30

We removed our 24' above ground pool and what is left is a circle of sand. The level is about 1-2" lower than the sorrounding lawn. My question is does all that sand need to be removed or can I spread topsoil on top of it and re-seed the area? How deep should the topsoil be in either case? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to remove sand from pool area before putting topsoi

The sand was used to protect the bottom of the pool - as you probably already know. There is no other reason for it. I use sand instead of topsoil in my garden, but that's me. Some disadvantages to sand are that it holds no fertility or moisture. If you put topsoil on top, when the roots grow down into the sand, there will be very little to keep them there. Not sure how that would pan out. I guess I'd be inclined to pull out the sand and replace with topsoil.

The new surface should crown a little on top to allow for settling. Otherwise in 3 years when the new topsoil has settled, you'll have a swamp.

o
RE: Do I need to remove sand from pool area before putting topsoi

If it were me, I would spread topsoil over the top of the sand, then use a garden rake to incorporate the sand and topsoil together. And as dchall wrote, crown the surface for future settling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here