Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing grass where above ground pool used to be...?

Posted by growingirl 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 23:33

Hi from northerm Illinois,

Our lawn is a KBG/fescue mix.

Last year we had a 12 ft. inflatable pool set up. We took it down last fall and decided to fix the grass this spring.

This spring my hubby threw down some topsoil (2 bags) and a mulch, fert, seed type product and depended on our rainfall to water it. :(

The 5 ft. in the middle is coming in grass (sparse) but the rest of the entire diameter of where the pool was is thick crabgrass.

I sprayed it with crabgrass killer, and some of it has died.

How can we fix this? We're lawn dummies, so laymans terms would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing grass where above ground pool used to be...?

A 12 foot diameter is 1 hours work using sod.

o

Thank You for your response!

I hate to ask more questions but...

We have to dig up all of the circle or just the area where the dead crabgrass is?

I'm afraid that laying sod down would make the lawn really uneven in that area. Would it? Can we put seed down?

o

bump

o

No seed this time of year. Fall is the best time for seed. Early spring is a distant second place for best time of year. Early summer (now) is pushing it. As you have seen, the crabgrass loves it when you try to grow other seed in the spring.

Sod is the only solution for this time of year. You only need to get rid of the grass where the sod will go. It will be slightly uneven due to the sod being cut from the ground unevenly. It will vary by about 3/4 inch max. Eventually it will settle out and be closer to even. You can level it with a coffee can and some sand once the grass is established.

o

Thank You very much! : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here