Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fparente

Winter kill dead Bermuda grass - how can I revitalize it?

fparente
9 years ago

We purchased our house back in Dec 28 2013 and the builder installed Bermuda grass. We live in Atlanta, GA and had several freezes shortly after they installed the sod. We are now in June and I believe most of my sod is dead (winter kill?) some spots are growing and no longer dormant but 90% dead. I hired a company to spray fertilizer and post emergent as we had weeds to help fix the problem with no success. I watered plenty but the water runs off quickly and does not penetrate. I am able to still pull up the slabs of Bermuda and no roots are connected and they look black underneath and the dead grass just breaks apart in your hands. What would you recommend? Plugs? Seeding? I do not want to spend lots of money (5000 sq ft ) with re-sodding ($200/pallet x8)...I'm fighting with the builder (Dr Horton) to get this replaced but they have mentioned landscaping is not warrantable. Ultimately I want a healthy lawn, want to aerate and sand as necessary to look as great as the pictures above. What steps should I take to get my lawn alive and well ? I read a post about using alfalfa pallets to stimulate root growth? I am new to this and these posts help out tremendously . I appreciate you time and help! All feedback is welcome. Please see the attached picture.

Comment (1)