Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homietheclown_gw

New Bermuda Vs Spurge(title fight!)

HomieTheClown
9 years ago

Hey everyone,

Been checking out this forum for a while but I finally decided to post cuz I need some help. My main question is about getting rid of(or getting most rid of) the spurge on my new princess-77 lawn. Here' the facts below.My main question is at the bottom if you wanna skip the 'facts' part.

-I live in Dallas so I'm somewhere between zones 7-8 depending on the chart you look at.
-This is a new lawn that was planted during the first week of May. The old lawn which was full of weeds was killed by RU...

-As with starting a new lawn I watered the lawn 2-3 times a day to keep the seeds moist while they germinated. Then I cut it back to 1 time a day after a couple of weeks. -Then after a month it went to 2-3 times a week. So basically less watering per week but more watering each time to establish those longer roots.

-It's been 7-8 weeks now and I'm up to watering twice a week.
-For the past two weeks, Dallas has been getting quite a few rain showers which I believe is making the weeds grow which isn't helping..
-I've recently learned that bermuda lawns need to be mowed short not long like other grasses do. From what I read, I thought the grass would help crowd out weeds better if it was long. I learned it was true unless you have bermuda, centipede, and some others grasses.
-I haven't had a chance to mow shorter since the grass is still kind of wet which all the rain.
-I used a spreader to sow the seed. The seeds were so small that I mixed them in with some milorganite starter fertilizer.
-Last week I (new lawn was 6 weeks old) I put some down Lesco 15-5-10 regular fertilizer.

So my lawn is coming up on the 2 month old mark and has spurge everywhere. I have a little but of parslane too, but its mostly spurge. I don't have pictures but let me describe. Corner lot with 5000 sq\ft. Some parts of the lawn have the P77 growing nicely but with mixed in spurge. The majority of the lawn has spurge growing in huge patches. When you remove them you expose a lot of dirt territory.

Everyday we pull weeds for an hour to expose some dirt and hope the P77 will grow in the open areas. So anyone have an idea what to do. I can't put down a post-mergent herbacide for a while right? The P77 is too young and not established.

LOOOONNNG story short, how do I get rid of the the spurge? Am I just going to have to live with it till next summer?

P.S. Sorry for the long winded post. I just didn't want to leave anything important out.

Comments (8)

• botanicalbill
    9 years ago

metsulfuron on amazon or ebay, a few year to life supply (depending on your practices and lawn size) for $30.

The link shows a study where newly seeded princess was sprayed with various herbicides at 2, 4, and 8 weeks after seeding. All grass had some injury but at the 30 and 60 day after treatment (DAT) showed no injury and no weeds.

I found another graph of this study and metsulfuron created a 5% injury at 5 days. At 30 and 60 DAT the injury was not apperent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Princess seed with herbicide

This post was edited by botanicalbill on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 19:31

• HomieTheClown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx bud. I checked it out. It seems that a Princess bermuda lawn that is new can have a herbicide applied to it soon after it's been planted and recover ok. Mine has been around 8 weeks so I guess I'm good to go.

Quick question if your still around. I looked briefly at this metsulfuron on Amazon. I didn't see any info about which grass it's ok to use in and which weeds it kills. I don't know much about herbicides at the moment. Gotta study :)

• HomieTheClown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*duplicate post*

This post was edited by HomieTheClown on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 11:16

• neilaz
    9 years ago

You can try Weed-b-gone at half strength after the sun goes down. Start off with a very small area to see how the 77 reacts. You normally don't use weed-b-gone if temps are above 80 but i have found that at half strength after the sun goes down seems to be ok on Bermuda.

• joneboy
    9 years ago

Monument ( Trifloxysulfuron-sodium) would be an option as well. Make sure you keep the bermuda well fed. Spurge should not be a problem once you have a dense stand of turf.

• botanicalbill
    9 years ago

Try the link below. Search on google 'metsulfuron label' and you will find labels of many products that use metsulfuron as their active ingredient.
    I have a p77 and empire zoysia mix for a lawn. I have found 0% damage from metsulfuron on either grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: pdf label

• HomieTheClown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx for the info guys. I checked that pdf Botanicabill but it didn't seem to work? I checked out another label for the Manor(metsulfuron) stuff and it said that the lawn has to be at least a year old.

It's funny cuz I've read something like you have to wait at least 3 mowings before putting down a herbicide on bermuda. I've done that already. This stuff is growing quite fast especially with all the damn rain.

So has anyone had experience with metsulfuron on a new lawn(particularly a bermuda one). I'd love to use it but not at the expense of nuking my lawn.

• botanicalbill
    9 years ago

What I would do is mix up a batch (1/2 gallon or less) and do a few test areas. I would definitely do two, one in the sun and one in the shade. Spray like you normally would and waste the rest. Wait 3 weeks to see if any injury occurs, if you have none, mix a new batch and spray.