Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmturfgreenhorn

Tifway 419

NMTurfGreenhorn
10 years ago

I just planted 875 square feet of tifway 419 sod on Wednesday June 12. I am wondering what the next step is. I know that I have to water is but I am not sure how much water it needs to get. Also I have seen that some people fertilize sod right after laying it to stimulate the root growth. Should I fertilize? And if so, what ratio should I use to ensure the best possible growth for the new sod. I have never actually maintained brand new sod and this is a little confusing to me. I have a friend who suggested using a 13:13:13 mix (1:1:1 ratio) for fertilizer, is this a good idea? Another question is about weed preventer/killer for the bits of weeds that are in the grass. When am I able to use this and what should I use? The mow height is the next question. I want to keep this grass short with a reel mower but I have heard that it is a bad idea to use a reel mower for new sod and that I should wait at least 2 weeks before I even think about mowing it. Is this true? Should I wait awhile and use a rotary mower instead?

If there is any other maintenance that I have forgotten about please help me out.

Thanks in advance

Comments (2)