Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluephi1914

Weed identification help

bluephi1914
9 years ago

Need a little help identifying this weed so I can find out what I need to do to kill it. These little things are popping up in an area where I Layed sod last year

Comments (9)

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is in a Bermuda lawn

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view. Bermuda grass

• sherm1082
    9 years ago

I don't know what it is but I think I can tell you how to kill it. It's a broadleaf weed so most weed killers should do the trick. I used ortho weed b gon for southern lawns to help control a broadleaf weed in my Bermuda lawn with great success. I bought the concentrate, mixed it per the instructions, and applied it with a tank sprayer. The weeds were browning within 24 hours and it caused very light if any damage to my lawn.

Sorry I can't ID the weed but the above info should fix the problem.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Those are very possibly oak tree suckers. If you kill the suckers you will kill the tree. They could also be new oak trees from acorns buried by squirrels. Dig a couple of them up. If they are not attached to larger roots, then go ahead and either dig them out or spray. But if they are attached to larger roots, then just mow them off 2x per week.

How are you watering? Usually these things pop up due to stress on the tree. If you cannot see the root flare at the base of the tree, then unbury the trunk down to the roots. If you are watering briefly every day, then you are killing the tree with drought. Big trees need deep watering on an infrequent basis. Oh, by the way, so does your lawn. If you are watering every day or 2-3 times per week, you are hurting the tree and the grass.

Your grass looks thin. Find the Bermuda Bible online and memorize it. Here's a summary:

Weekly
    Mulch mow at 1-2 inches twice per week
    Water once per week when the temps are above 90 degrees

Monthly
    Fertilize heavily with a high N fertilizer

• sherm1082
    9 years ago

What DC said. That's what I meant. Lol. Good save

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have any trees in my yard. I laid sod last year and I wanted to let it get established before I started the Bermuda Bible.

I just put down some vigoro 35-0-5 and I will do that every 45 days.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Well! Don't I look silly!!

And Sherm? What have you to say? Sounded good 'til the picture showed up.

Still looks like a tree to me. Acorns?? The important thing is that it looks like a plant with a tap root. There are a few tools on the market that allow you to stand up and pluck out tap rooted plants. Weed Hound is the one that seemed to kick off the standing weed tool craze. It takes as long to pluck the weed as it takes to step on the weed. Do you have hundreds of these or just 10s?

• bluephi1914
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More than 10s but less than 100s. I thought it was a broad leaf weed

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

It is a broadleaf weed if you don't want it there. That was the theory behind my first post suggesting you don't spray it with a broadleaf killer. If it was root suckers, you could easily kill the tree with a simple broadleaf spray.