Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raekwon_gw

Need help turning my lawn into a lawn

Raekwon
9 years ago

Right now it's pretty much a weed patch. Just moved in a few weeks ago and would like it to be a nice yard to cruise around barefoot in. Right now it's mostly weeds and some thorny blackberry plants are shooting up here and there. The soil is also rock hard for the most part. I'll attach some pictures. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments (16)

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres a couple more pictures of the backyard and front yard with some closeups of some weeds.

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more weeds..

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres a few of the front yard as well.

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more front lawn

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weeds in the front

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And these little bastards popping up here and there too.

Again, thanks for the help. Any suggestions on how to make the soil less rock hard and get some actual lush weed-free grass popping off would be great!

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No suggestions at all?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

Do you know what kind of grass you have?

In your identified zone, 9, the rules are going to be a lot different than my Pennsylvania lawn, but usually it's a good idea to start with a soil test. I have a sneaking suspicion that your soil is very short on resources...but that wouldn't matter for St. Augustine.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Where do you live?

Start by mowing it down once a week to the midpoint on your mower, watering deeply (1 inch) once per week, and after a month, see what survives. You might also get going on fixing your soil by applying any organic fertilizer. I like alfalfa pellets at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

Don't apply any herbicide until you know what is alive. You can pull weeds if you want to, but no chemicals - especially in the summer heat.

You have a considerable amount of shade. I believe in zone 9, St Augustine will be your best choice, but it matters where you live. Sometimes fescue is the best choice even in zone 9. Zone 9 does not mean hot in the summer, it means not cold in the winter. Sometimes that is the same, but along the California coast it is not.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the easy way ... is to hire a professional lawn care company ... and let them do it ...

and then.. when you actually have a lawn .. lol .. learn how to do it yourself ... its really easy.. after you have a lawn ...

heck.. it might be easier.. to kill it all .. and have it hydro seeded in fall ... growing grass seed in july/august is not real easy .... again.. talking with a pro might get you much further.. in a shorter amount of time ...

my response is all about.. how fast you want to be out there walking.. rather than slaving over it .. as it is ...

double heck.. that doesnt look like acreage ... the fastest way.. would be to sod it out...

ken

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Okay so this is why we have a variety of people helping out. Ken, bless your heart! Hydroseeding in the fall is not a thing in zone 9. That's a northern grass thing.

If you want something fast in the south, sod is the answer, so I agree with you after the doubleheck. There is too much shade for bermuda so the only sod left is St Aug. But again, fescue might be a choice if the OP lives a mile or two from the Pacific. I used to live 3 miles back from the beach, and we needed a sweater and/or windbreaker every day of the year. If the OP wants to do St Augustine, it won't cost as much as they might think, because a little goes a long way. If they want to sod Marathon fescue, it will cost just that much.

9 years ago

i was wondering about regional options... so i am glad.. my shotgun attempt hit something .... lol ...

my point was ... OP is in a box .. of FIXING WHAT IS THERE ...

i asked him to step out of the box ... and think along other lines ...

depending of course.. on budget etc ... and immediacy of goals ...

if i had crumb munchers... and i wanted a green lawn for them to play in.. i would not waste a year or two.. trying to renovate this alleged lawn ...

there are times and places for checkbook gardening ... and if lawn is supremely important ... then spend the money ...

it would be no different.. in a new house.. as updating a kitchen counter.. or replacing carpet ... just think of it as outdoor carpet ...

and finally ... you could end up spending a heck of a lot of money trying to save this stuff ... and maybe.. end up spending more than sod will ever cost you ....

good luck

ken

ps: of course.. if you are the pick up the gauntlet.. and this will not defeat me .. and i will die trying to overcome it.. good luck.. i am just playing off your need.. as you stated.. of walking around barefoot ... in the very near future ...

• Raekwon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome info. Thanks for the responses. :) I am in Northern California (Eureka) pretty close to the ocean. Maybe 10 minute drive through town. I am not opposed to starting over if that is the best course of action. At this point, given the repairs we are dealing with inside the house I was hoping for a less expensive do it myself approach to the yard. If that is not really possible or not worth the trouble I will have to talk to the boss and see what we can do. I do have a 2 year old and another slated to arrive at the end of November so a nice yard is definitely a must somewhat sooner than later.

Would the mowing and watering still be the best first approach to see whats what?

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Okay. Apologies to Ken. Hydroseeding is a thing in zone 9...if you live on the California coast. This is exactly why zones are meaningless. Most of zone 9 is in 100 degree heat but Raekwon is likely in the 70s if not 60s. Turf type tall fescue should work fine in there.

Start with mowing and watering, yes. Get it knocked down. After 2 weeks post some new pictures. Oh and get a string trimmer. I use a Black and Decker battery powered trimmer. Those things can make any area look nice around the edges.

• oliveoyl3
    9 years ago

Pull the blackberries out by the roots with leather gloves. Easier after a soaking rain. I prefer to do it in the morning before the sun dries the surface again. Carry a bucket to collect what you pull out. Let dry in the sun to reduce volume for disposal.

We are fortunate to have goats that relish the leaves, but roots still must be pulled. Blackberry is a vigorous resprouter from any part of roots, yet I am determined to win the battle.

9 years ago

At this point, given the repairs we are dealing with inside the house I was hoping for a less expensive do it myself approach to the yard.

==>> again.. your box ... lol ..

having a room.. outdoors.. where you can send momma and kids... on a fresh green lawn carpet and some plastic junk toys ...

will allow you to focus indoors.. on the projects that require you to be alone ...

in other words... the lawn might be the easiest.. and fastest 'room' to complete ...

rip out everything??? .. and go wall to wall with sod ... maybe sprinkler system ... but it isnt rocket science.. to properly water sod ... so i would probably forgo sprinklers ....

and if in the future.. you want to do gardens... well... you will remove parts of the sod later ...

ken

ps: trust me... as a stay at home dad... nothing attracts a two year old.. like a freshly poured pan of paint ... and you end up spending the first hour.. chasing their diapered butt all over the house.. instead of actually getting some painting done... lol .. ahhh.. the old days... mine are now young teens ... they hate me... lol..