Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Online Image Editor for resizing pictures

Posted by bestlawn 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 3:41

Hoping everyone will consider using an image editor to resize photos before posting. Pictures that are too large throw the forum threads out of whack and make it difficult to read written responses. I realize not everyone has an editing program installed on their computer, but there are many on the internet to use for free like this one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Online Image Editor for resizing pictures

And since not everyone has their monitor resolution settings the same, resizing your images to no wider than 600 pixels is a safe way to ensure that nobody will have trouble viewing it all on one screen.

o

bump

o

ttt

o

Ooops if it weren't for my reply this would still be sticking to the top.

o

• Posted by okcdan 7 OKC - Bermuda (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 15:38

o

ttt

o

I've got a sticky set to remind me to post to this thread and the "How to post" thread on a monthly basis, so they'll stay near the top from now on, anyway.

o

Hey bestlawn...did you mean to say "tttf"? :-)

Anyway, that's good advice for everyone. I hate to read a thread that's 2 feet wide. It plays havoc with my Corporal Tunnel (that's army talk for really sore wrist). :)

o

Good advice bestlawn 6. However, there is a free application that can be downloaded that works better (IMHO). It is called Irfanview. It can be downloaded from:

In it's basic form it can be used for resizing pictures, but has many other uses as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: irfanview

o

I agree!! :)
i have been using irfanview for years!! It is simple and very easy to use.

o

Wow,
irfanview is real easy. I haven't resized my pix cause it is such a PITA. I'll start using this from now on instead of posting 1920 * 1080 pixlels.

Thanks!

o

Well, the kind of image-editing software has always been Photoshop.

Adobe now offers a free, online version called Photoshop Express. I think you just need to register to use it.

o

JPEG format is the file type that is commonly used on the internet for images that are not animated. There are others, but jpg/jpeg is the most common. The reason is that it compresses graphics down to file sizes that are more easily handled and displayed in the different browsers, while not changing the dimensions of the image at all. The same images in bmp format, for example, would be much bigger/heavier file sizes and take a lot longer to load.

By virtue, jpg is not a good format because it adds blur and moire to the images during compression, meaning they are not as crisp and clear as the original. When downsizing images using most image editors, a loss of information is suffered, resulting in the addition of blur and compounding that of the jpg compression. Whenever a jpg image is saved, re-saved, reduced and re-saved, etc. the program has to recreate the image using the jpg format's set of algorithms. It normally does not turn out very well. I have many image editing programs on my computer, including 2 versions of PhotoShop, 5 versions of Paint Shop Pro, 2 versions of Corel PhotoPaint, and a couple others. They all cause some loss of information although PhotoShop blurs the images a little less so than the others.

I was aware of Irfanview being a free program, as Mikie has always suggested it to GardenWeb members. I have never used it but expect it is much the same as others when resizing graphic images. I suggested this online program after reducing my image down 40 percent, and the result still came out clear. Anyone using Irfanview, please make sure the reduced images are not blurred so we can answer your questions without impediment.

o

There is no loss of quality when reducing picture size, but enlarging is a different story. i have tried all the other programs too, i find they have too much 'fluff'. Irfanview is simple...just like lawn care should be! :)

o

This is another good post that goes with the one on how to post pictures.

o

bah, fine, I'll do 480 x 600 from now on, and here I thought I was doing fine by reducing them 66% down to 1024x768...

o

I don't reduce anything. I upload to Mediafire and they offer three different sizes for viewing. Large is the original size. Small is significantly larger than a thumbnail. Medium is in between (duh!). I have been linking to the medium sized image. I hope it works okay for y'all. My normal monitor is huge but I try to keep my windows down to normal sizes so I don't make mistakes like that. Again, I can't be sure though.

o

Just upload to photobucket. You can set it to automatically resize your images.

o

This is worth bubbling up every once in a while so people know how to resize.

o

This is a good tutorial on resizing pictures.

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 0:57

Would you know where I can find instructions on how to convert an http:// string to a link? There are times when it's practical to make a link in one's posts.

Also, where could I find easy-to-follow instruction on how to post pictures?

I work on a Mac OS X.

Thanks for your generous advice!

o

Here is a link to a thread on posting pictures.

If you only have one link to post, you can use the Optional Link URL and Name of the link boxes.

To post a link in the message body as I've done, you need to use HTML:

<a href="http://some.url.com">Description Here</a>

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 23:40

bpgreen, thanks for the information. I'll take a look and hope the instructions are compatible w/Macs.

FAQ: How do I level my yard?

Wow, it converted!!!! Jubiiiiiiiii

Thank you so very, very, very much!

o

This is a handy link for resizing pictures.

This one gives good instructions on posting pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here