Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural seeding of lawn

Posted by knuttle z5in (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 8:59

In the past I have avoided mowing when the grass is going to seed on the idea that the grass growing from the new natural seed will improve the quality of the yard.

What are your opinions of this practice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural seeding of lawn

What kind of grass and seed are we talking about?

o

.....you know, before I started reading this board, I used to let my Bermuda grow tall enough until the whole yard was covered with the seed heads. I would then adjust the mower to just clip the seed heads thinking that this would be a weekly natural seeding of my Bermuda. I have no idea if that is even true or not, just an assumption. I have now realized that allowing the seed heads means that my Bermuda is waaaay to high. On the link provided someone stated that hybrid Bermuda seed heads are sterile anyway....

Here is a link that might be useful: How does one identify Bermuda by type?

o

This house was built in 1968 in Indianapolis In., and I have owned it for about 8 years. I looked at the link posted and believe I have either a different grass or a hybrid Bermuda. I did not realize that grass seed was a mostly hybrid, and the seed would be root and probably go to a courser grass.

So I will cut before the seed heads appear and buy grass seed.

Thank yo

o

I seriously doubt that you have bermudagrass in Indianapolis. It would be helpful if you could post a picture.

o

In zone 5, you definitely don't have bermuda - most likely Kentucky Bluegrass.

As for letting the grass go to seed, it is pretty useless. Grass seed takes an extended period of time to mature. Even if it does mature, many grasses don't set viable seed. Even if it is viable, most grass doesn't come true from seed. Even if it does come true from seed, most grass requires weeks of constant watering to produce decent seeding results. The deck is really stacked against just letting nature do its thing. After all, you never see a "natural" field of 1 particular grass growing with the density of a lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here