Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcallahan_gw

Help! Truck loads of dirt left from pool dig

kimcallahan
10 years ago

Our 20x40 pool dig began yesterday. The pool builder (we expected this..) will have to build-up the pool to significantly to match the grade of our home. After the dig, we have approximately 7 dump-truck loads of dirt; some to use for building up the land around the pool.

Our builder wants to use the remaining soil to spread over the existing lawn (which is in really bad shape, and on the project-to-do-list after the pool project) and build up the height of the yard from the back of the house to the pool...about 6-8 inches higher. And, he's bringing more dirt in from other pool digs.

What now? Will grass grow evenly from this? Or is this a new pallet for me to seed for a nice even lawn next year? I have no idea where to begin with this....I appreciate any ideas!!

Comments (11)

• ksmith72
    10 years ago

I'm thinking that 6-8 inches of soil on top of grass...the grass doesn't have a chance. with the grade your describing, you have NO CHOICE but to either, A) seed or B) sod. If you don't the erosion is going to cost you more time and money to regrade and/or repair what eroded.

BTW, I am no expert...

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

ksmith is on track.

Are you built on hills? Anytime soil comes in or leaves the property, the drainage changes. As long as you have a drop of about 6 inches over the first 10 feet away from all buildings, then your drainage is okay for the buildings. After that it needs to flow downhill to a street or pond. If any of this does not sound like it can be done in your property lines, you need to consult with another expert.

Can you post pictures?

• kimcallahan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No hills. The pool builder plans to trench down the side of what was the wood fence-for drainage. This photo is from the back of the house facing the pool area. Next are photos from behind the pool.. Then there is a pix where the actual dig is-where the pool is going.

The lawn between the back of the house to the pool is the part they are building up with the dirt from the dig.

Thanks again for all your feedback and recommendations.

• kimcallahan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back corner of property--the pool is going where the round pad was.

• kimcallahan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the actual location of pool..

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Looks like a big lot. There should be something productive to do with that dirt to improve drainage. Just don't push towards your neighbor. In many locations that is illegal.

Is that a large tree in the back right of the bottom pic? It will not like having the grade if the soil rapidly change around it.

• andy10917
    10 years ago

A ton of responses, and not one person mentioned that all "dirt" isn't topsoil, and anything from deeper than 6"-8" deep is subsoil that is not appropriate for the growing of a lawn.. Before you start figuring out how it will drain, etc. -- make sure you actually want to deal with it. The use of subsoil is going to mean either buying topsoil on top now, or doing it later when you realize things are not surviving in the spread-out subsoil.

• ken_mce
    10 years ago

> Will grass grow evenly from this?

Not absolutely sure, but I would expect grass to grow poorly on raw subsoil.

>Or is this a new pallet for me to seed for a nice even lawn next year?

I would say yes if you improve it a bit.

>I have no idea where to begin with this....

The previous posters are correct that drainage for the house and property are your first concern. After that you might be able to give it away as clean fill.

If you want to keep and plant it I expect that you will need to amend it so as to make it more like topsoil.

• kimcallahan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ andy10917 & ken_mce -- your replies are most helpful! Bottom line, 'leveling-up' my yard to get proper drainage is priority as well as diverting drainage away from/around the pool. With that being said, and with the investment in the pool, I would rather hire an expert that can properly test/prepare my soil for planting since I am finding I will need topsoil brought in, tilling and more seeding; and, will need proper instructions needed for care and success.

@ tornado3800-yes. That is a tree. The roots were cut so it will be coming down.

I very much appreciate the knowledge shared. This is the first time I've turned to a forum for advice and have been glad that I did. Perhaps next year I will have moved from novice to beginner in the 'preparing your soil for seeding' area; at least for zone 7 :).

Thanks again!

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I was afraid you were putting a pool on one of those 1/4 acre tract lots and would end up with a mountain of soil.

If you want to rototill your garden for veggies, that's between you and Satan. I disagree with that concept; however, for a lawn. you REALLY don't want to rototill as a prep step. Rototilling is the fast track way to a bumpy lawn surface. It might take 3 years to get there but that's what happens. If you need to prepare the surface for seeding over a large area the proper tool is a box blade towed behind a tractor.

Andy, I never mention subsoil because it is my belief that it can be changed to topsoil with the topical addition of compost and organic fertilizer along with grass roots. You are the guy who has read a bazillion soil tests. Am I mistaken on my belief?? Is there something about subsoil that makes it worse than just topsoil without organic matter?