Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Best time of day to cut grass

I know the rule of thumb is to not cut wet grass, but I have twice now cut grass before I've gone to work in the AM at around 6:30-7am and the grass is dew soaked and wet. Not to mention the wet blades get caked into the Scotts Classic 20" reel mower and I don't then have the time to clean off the wet blades from the mower as I have to head off to work.

Comments (13)

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

In the morning after the dew dries up.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What about late afternoon/early evening?

In the morning after the dew dries up, it is probably 10 or 11am and most people are at work that time of day unless retired.

• metal
    14 years ago

If your only options are early morning or late evening (due to work schedule) then I would say late evening when it cools off a bit and that will leave more growth to help keep the lawn cool during the day. My mower doesn't cut as well(more jagged edges and front wheels push grass down) and also doesn't mulch as well (not an issue with your mower) on wet grass.

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

What about late afternoon/early evening?

Evening is fine as grass is like you, it does best without the stress of being worked in the heat of the day.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I thought Texas-Weed. I did cut it around 11am today though after your suggestion and it was not full sun yet and some shade so it worked out great. Too bad I wasn't off everyday at that time to cut the grass. After a long day of work the last thing on your mind is cutting the grass. I have cut prior to work but like I said the grass clumps and makes a mess of my reel mower and I'm afraid wet grass + steel mower will be a rust situation I'd rather avoid since this is a new mower.

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

> " After a long day of work the last thing on your mind is cutting the grass"

That's just WRONG, company man!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to back my truck up into a hole, pull that yellow knob, turn the key and head for home to cut my grass!

FWIW - try spraying some non-stick cooking whatchamacallit like Pam on your mower before you mow, providing it's clean. Those that have done this swear by the difference.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

People spray Pam non-stick spray on the metal blades of a reel mower? First time I have heard of this...

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

"People spray Pam non-stick spray on the metal blades of a reel mower? First time I have heard of this..."

Actually, it's the underside of the deck more than the blades.

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

My vote is for PM. After you cut grass, it needs time to heal. Water helps disease spread. Put the two together and you increase your chances of problems.

"Evening is fine as grass is like you, it does best without the stress of being worked in the heat of the day."

I agree with texas weed but just add you want to do it early enough that you're finished with enough time before the sun goes down to sit and relax outside and smell the fresh cut grass. Helps it feel like less of a chore.

• tbonejones
    14 years ago

Evening...after 6:00 PM depending on how long it takes you. The evening / night dew will serve as a 'soother' to the newly cut blades. Plus...it's always cooler in the evening. That's better for you and the beer should be cold by then for the post-cutting pride session (standing there looking at your lawn while you sip the beer).

Even after work...the lawn mowing process is somewhat therapeutic...helps you clear your mind.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah I have been doing it 5ish-6ish in the evening. Working out fine. I've been cutting it every other day just to keep things short and it's not a chore at all when you are cutting that small of an amount of blades..

• Alph
    13 years ago

As texas-weed(ahem, a sod farmer), I too think after the dew has dried is the best time for cutting grass. This is when it is waking up and could take on the most stress. Its efforts during the day could be geared toward repairing the cut portion. Whereas in the evening, the grass has used up most of its energy during the day and hence would be in a weakened state. imo