Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn health question, dry brown grass

Posted by spoon059 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 9:39

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I have a large area in my back yard that grows nice and green in the spring, then immediately turns brown and withered in the summer.
 photo IMAG1250.jpg
I don't know what type of grass that I have, here is a closeup of the affected area.
 photo IMAG1248.jpg  photo IMAG1247.jpg
I live in central Maryland, we have owned this house for 6 years. I didn't do anything to the grass for the first year or two.
Starting in year 3 I used Scotts fertilizer in the spring, summer and fall.
Year 4 I used Milorganite in the spring, summer and fall at the wife's request for a more organic approach.
Year 5 I didn't do anything, as I didn't see any changes in this problem.
I have used a core aerator. I have tried watering about 1 inch of water at a time, twice a week thinking the lawn was just parched. It didn't change anything.
I mowed around 3" in the past and went up to 3.75" this year hoping that might help. It didn't change anything.
I thought perhaps I had an overabundance of thatch so I bought a thatch rake and raked a 20' by 20' area to compare to the rest of the yard. It didn't change anything.

My back yard is mostly level, though there is a small hill in the middle. The problem appears all over the yard. No trees, plenty of sunshine all day.

Ideally I want to rid the back yard of weeds and clovers as well, but right now I am most concerned with fixing this dry, brown grass. My wife about killed me when I watered the lawn heavily an entire summer and doubled our water bill... especially when it looked just as bad at the end.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn health question, dry brown grass

I'll be interested to see what others say. A turf grass regardless of water and disease (btw your close-up shows lesions on some blades) goes dormant and still recovers nice and green every spring.

o

Here's a link you can use to identify the disease.
The NCSU site also has a grass ID app. that you can use to identify what grass you have:
http://turfid.ncsu.edu/ItemID.aspx?orderID=GR&orderDesc=Grass

Here is a link that might be useful: disease

o

Thanks, I will look into that and see if I can determine grass type and possible disease type.

o

Does water seem to puddle up right in that spot?

When you've tried everything, then it's time to look into a soil test. The best soil test for any money is the cheap one at Logan Labs in Ohio. The least expensive of all the comprehensive soil tests is the cheap one at Logan Labs. They test everything. You can pay a lot more and get a worse test. When you get the LL test back, I can help you find a place where there are volunteers (like me) who will read the test, tell you what it means, tell you what you need to fix it, where to get the stuff, how much to apply, when to apply, and more if there is more. They just don't do that on this forum.

o

>>They just don't do that on this forum.

Cough.

o

When did you last do that on this forum? You wanna take that on? I can't do it like you can.

o

Sure, if I catch it, I'll do it.

o

>> "Cough." " I can't do it like you can."

That explains my sneaking suspicions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here