Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of grass is this?

Posted by shelbyby CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:52

Hello, I've got this tall grass or weed taking over parts of my lawn and I want to get rid of it. Several of my neighbors have this growing in their lawn and it has just come up this year. The stems are very coarse and I have pulled some of them up but I'm not sure that is the best option. Can anyone identify it and recommend a herbicide to kill it without killing my other grass? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of grass is this?

Are you near a national park or state forest? Looks like I type that was a mystery to me too that the ecosystem managers had planted to feed wildlife.

o

I live in the city area of Denver.

o

I've seen it here in Zone 6B Kentucky so it heat hardy. I'm surprised there are no other responses.

If you upload to Google Image search and do a search you might get lucky. Make sure to turn strict filtering on (I like it on but whatever).

To me, those look like classic wheat stalks. Really quite nice when dried and bundled into shocks as decoration:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wheat+stalks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HAKhU-SrC5OPyASB8oDgCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1180&bih=955

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheat Stalks

This post was edited by AgroCoders on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 23:08

o

I think you are on to something. It looks like crested wheat grass. Eh i dont like it.

o

Oh, I'd like to order some shocks as decoration but in the yard? No. :-)

o

Sure but can you come pull it yourself? It's free......haha

o

Oh, I'm going to grow lavender to bundles shock of it. The wheat I'll keep out of my yard and buy shocks. Where I saw the wheat growing was in Beaver Creek National Wildlife Refugee not my yard. :-)

This post was edited by AgroCoders on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:29

o

I lived in Arvada and we called it fox tail! It reseeds really bad you need a pre-emergent early in the spring to keep the seeds from sprouting. I spent my life there pulling it and I'm doing the same in Ok!!
Good luck it is a pain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here