Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamotherl

How to get rid of ivy in my lawn.

lamotherl
9 years ago

I have tried to rid my lawn with an ever increasing amount of new ivy growth. I think it is the English ivy, Hedera helix. The leaves are waxy and resistant to all the sprays I have tried. What have you tried that works?

Comments (7)

• forsheems
    9 years ago

Glyphosate will kill it but it will also kill everything else it comes in contact with. First, make sure the ivy is healthy. Water it if it's been dry. I know this sounds crazy but healthy weeds will take up the herbicide much better. Mix up the glyphosate per the mixture instructions and also add a lot of liquid dish detergent. The detergent will help the herbicide stick to the waxy leaves. Adjusting the spray pattern to a very fine mist will also help it stick. All you're after is a light coating on the leaves. It will probably take a week before the ivy shows signs of wilting and 2 weeks before it turns brown. A second application may be needed.

• beckyinrichmond
    9 years ago

Pull it up. Dig out the root with a trowel and roll up the vine. If it's not deep rooted you can probably get it up without digging, just pulling. I cleared my lawn two years ago and it's clear. It's still in the neighbors' yards so I do fence patrol every few weeks and pull up the vine that tries to creep back in.

• lamotherl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your quick responses.

I have tried pulling on the vines and indeed it does come up easily. Unfortunately, there is so much of it I pulled for a half hour and gave up. It probably would take a couple of days of pulling to remove. My next step was to place an advertisement on Craigs List for garden help and pay someone by the hour to do this removal process.

I have not tried the herbicide Glyphosate. This sounds like a winner. Would it be still effective if I cover the sprayed area with a large tarp after spraying? I have five bee hives 30 feet from this location and would not want to harm my bees.
    I have tried Roundup so I hope this hebicde is something diffrent. The soap soluiton may also have worked with the Roudup?
    Thanks again for your help.

• forsheems
    9 years ago

Round Up is glyphosate. Their patent on glyphosate expired some years ago so now there are quite a few other brands that are much cheaper. What you're looking for is 41% glyphosate. Tractor Supply and Walmart both carry house brands that are at least half the price of Round Up.

The way it works is the glyphosate is absorbed by the leaves and from there is pulled into the roots where it kills the entire plant. If your orginal application beaded up and rolled off then that explains why it didn't work. The soap combined with a fine mist should fix that problem. As far as the bees go, I don't think it will bother them as they most likely won't get in it anyway but I'm not a bee expert. You might spray late in the evening while the bees aren't active so the herbicide will be dry by morning. I would consult with a bee expert just to make sure.

• beckyinrichmond
    9 years ago

It took me a couple of weeks, a few hours at a time, to get the ivy pulled up. Using glysophate should kill the ivy but then you're left with a lot of dead ivy. You will want to pull it up, won't you? Either way, you will be pulling ivy. Dead ivy will come up easily. But if the live ivy comes up easily too, why not do that?

• lamotherl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I was looking for an easy way out...apparently there is none. I'm hoping that when the ivy is dead I can remove it more easily by simply passing a rake over the whole area versus bending down and pulling out each runner separately to remove it.

Thanks for the advice.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Pulling ivy out is backbreaking but really very effective. You might hire some high school kids. It will take them a while, but at least you're not doing it.