Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielboone_gw

Open for Suggestions...

DanielBoone
10 years ago

I am trying to decide what is the best option for my back yard. Half of it gets sunlight all day, while the other half gets none. I have Bermuda growing in the sunny part and a few Fescue plugs growing in the shade. Is it possible to fill in the Fescue and have them growing side by side?

Also, what kind of grass is that (wide light green) mixed in with the Bermuda in the second photo?

Comments (9)

• DanielBoone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Backyard

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I believe that is crabgrass but it looks a little too frilly.

That's way too much shade for bermuda.

Where do you live?
    Why do you want fescue?

• DanielBoone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Northeast Atlanta, GA. That picture was taken in at 9:30am looking due east. Where the grass is actually growing, it gets a good 7 hours of sun. The area with mostly dirt gets none as it is blocked by the house. I don't necessarily want fescue in the shady part, i just want something that will grow.

• DanOnFire
    10 years ago

It is Crabgrass... "Celsius" will kill most (if not all) of those weeds in the Bermuda. If you are okay with killing the fescue, you can spray it too. Otherwise, do not treat the fescue :) You can pick that up at John Deere Landscapes for ~$80. You will get 40-45 treatments out of that bottle. (more than enough)

With the shade... I see sunlight on a bare area in the photo!

It looks to me like a soil compaction and drainage issue. Maybe, there is a lot of foot traffic along the beds? Maybe with all of the rain we've gotten here in the ATL its just tamping everything even more. Plus, Ga. clay doesn't drain well as it is.

I think you can grow Bermuda there. It's just going to take work. Or you can kill the Bermuda and lay fescue in the back. Either way... Aerate!!! And do it now.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Is that back dead part a walking pathway? If so you might want to do something else with it. I'm thinking of a stone pathway (not pea gravel), pavers, stepping stones, wooden decking path, mulch path...anything but grass.

If people or animals walk there and you still want to keep it in grass, it is going to be a problem. I would not aerate there. I would use shampoo. Search this forum for more information on the use of shampoo instead of aerating.

• DanielBoone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Drainage was a big problem before... There was a "ditch" of sorts that kept water away from the house and with any measurable rainfall, the ditch would flood. I decided to install a drainage system with 3 drains along the ditch, tying in 2 gutters spouts. I filled in most of the ditch to even out the yard and drainage is much better.

There is slight traffic in that area just off the patio but not along the pavers.

Here are a couple of pictures of the drain. You can see in the one picture the sunlight problem close to the house. Moss seems to be the only thing that will grow there.

• DanielBoone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drain

• DanielBoone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have a small patch of what i believe to be zoysia? Would it make sense to pull plugs from it and plant them along the side of the house?

{{gwi:98392}}

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Plugging is a good way to plant zoysia. Is there shade next to the house (there almost always is) and does the zoysia like the shade (it almost never does)? There are a couple of zoysia's that do very well in shade, but if you have it in full sun, you probably have the full sun varieties.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!