Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about grass cutting

Posted by corvairbob 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 10:12

now cutting grass is easy but can some one tell me how long to wait after the seed start to appear before cutting so i can use that seed for reseeding the lawn? i used to wait a week before i cut my grass after the seed appeared but some one told me i could just go ahead and cut it at the regular intervals and it would not matter. we last year i did that but i so far this year i just can't tell if it worked. otherwise i wait for around 2 to 3 weeks after the seed shows. and by fall the lawn was full. my lawn is full now but i installed new sprinklers this year and i have the trails where the lines run now and i want the grass seed to help dill those spots in faster. and anyway why buy seed if i get it free from the lawn. now my yard is a week old from the last mowing and the seed is plentiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about grass cutting

What kind of grass do you have?
How high/low do you mow?
Where do you live?

Just out of curiosity, what schedule are your new sprinklers on? How often and how long do you water?

o
RE: question about grass cutting

This question has puzzled me. It just struck me, Are you asking how long you need to allow the grass to grow for the seed heads to mature and become viable? If so, turf seed farms harvest seed in late June/early July. Seed heads develop in May, so about 5--8 weeks. Way too long to not mow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here