Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jusncsu82

Help!! New Bermuda - watering and fertilizer

jusncsu82
9 years ago

I'm re-posting as I didn't get any feedback from my original post! I need help you guys - DC Hall; TX Weed; everyone else!!

I've been researching the crap out of this forum the past few months in preparation of seeding Bermuda, and I greatly appreciate the wealth of information that I've come across on here.

I'm located in Smithfield, NC (20 mins south of Raleigh). I seeded Bermuda on May 24, 2014 (Pennington Triangle Blend). Prepped soil, spread seed, Scotts Starter Fert (24-25-4), spread compost over top, watered. I didn't get a soil test (I know - I will before next season). The seeds started germinating around May 31st. The grass and weed have spread pretty good over the yard. I was originally watering 3 times a day for 15 mins (7, 12, 4). I've backed off to 2 times a day now 7am and 4pm, 30 mins each time and I am still getting germination/spreading. The weather here has been 90+, upper 60's/70s at night, with sporadic rain. I've been thinking about backing off the water even more, but I'm still getting germination in bare spots. I have the Bermuda Bible (thanks TX Weed) and some stuff from NCSU (local Ag university), but I haven't found a lot regarding watering of new lawn. Considering I'm still getting germination, should I continue with my current water schedule until everything has spread to where I want it?? I know with established Bermuda you're supposed to shoot for 1"/week typically.

I also have a good amount of starter fertilizer left over that I've been thinking about spreading. I figure it could help the newly germinating seeds; however, I don't want to hurt the grass that has already sprouted. Should I proceed with the nitrogen only, or is it okay to finish off the bag of starter I have with one more application and then go to the nitrogen only in 4-6 weeks?? I'm new to this, and any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)