Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherm1082

Alfalfa application question

sherm1082
9 years ago

My question is regarding applying alfalfa to bermuda grass. I am working on an organic, synthetic hybrid fertilization program for my grass. I applied alfalfa pellets a few weeks ago at 10 lbs/1000 sq ft. I applied water afterwards by hand and they did swell up. I cut the grass a few days later and they still hung around. As the weeks progressed and we got some rain, they really did swell up pretty big and they are virtually all gone. The one very small concern I have is I can see some of them on the ground and they are smothering the grass. It's very far and few between but since I plan on doing 20 lbs per 1k coming up in a week or two, I want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. Any advice?

Just in case anyone is wondering, my grass is probably an inch to 1.5 inches. I cut it on the 2nd to lowest setting with my rotary mower.

Comments (8)

• suesheldon
    9 years ago

I've been using alfalfa for a couple of years and love the way it works. What size pellet did you use? The first time I bought it, there was a picture of a horse on the bag and since I knew it was basically supposed to be bunny food, I realized the warehouse had picked the wrong bag- BIG difference in size! I have a KBG lawn, not Bermuda, but if I had used the horse pellets, I'd probably still be looking at them. I found a grain and seed supplier who orders the Alfalfa meal for me- much easier to apply and water in, so you might want to try the meal when you ramp up your application rate.

• sherm1082
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I used pellets aka horse feed. The place I bought it from didn't have meal and alfalfa pellets for horses was way cheaper than rabbit food. It disappeared pretty good. Don't get me wrong. I can just see a spot here and there where it is smothering the grass.

• t_d_harvey
    9 years ago

If there are not that many spots where it did not get to the soil, why not just brush it with ur feet or broom. after I water or rain, that is exactly what I do and have not seen problems.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

broom or leaf rake. Meal is really the way to go if you can get it. That seems to be so rare that I never even mention it. Maybe I should mention it all the time and see if I could move the industry to provide meal. hahahaha

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

The corn meal mentioned by you in another thread would seem much easier to buy as meal and cheap in bulk. It's not like the US doesn't produce way more than needed already.

I'm going to compare prices between alfalfa pellets, corn meal, and bales of peat moss. I know which one should be cheapest but that doesn't mean that's going to be the case.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Why would you use peat moss? What effect are you looking for, because whatever it is, peat moss is the worst product available for providing that effect. Unless you want that brown look.

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

I'd be using peat moss to acidify via slow leaching of the peat moss very alkaline soil and to soften compacted clay soil but dry peat moss is very dusty and might would mostly blow away. :-(

As far as peat moss being brown once the vinegar kills the grass and weeds it's won't be noticeable and then the fine fescues will grow.

Since I'm going to plant fine fescues after they are established I won't be using any type peat moss, corn meal, or any fertilizer or soil conditioner on my lawn.

If I needed any composting to create acidity after the fescue was established I would use corn meal.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Okay you got me. That is the one thing peat moss is better for. Go for it.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner