Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white Bermudagrass after deep mowing

Posted by shaiqbashir (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 10:52

Hi

I have a lawn of bermudagrass. Im using a rotary mower. Whenever I mow high, the grass looks green after mowing. But whenever I mow deep, so many white patches of grass comes out. Please check the attached image. Why is it so?

It seems like the blades of this grass are white at the lower heights and green at the tops. So whenever I mow deep, these white blades are exposed. But after a week or so, it becomes green.

Please help me in sorting out this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white Bermudagrass after deep mowing

I mow bermuda at the golf course and well...

It has to be perfectly flat...

Has to mow at least once a week at 1-1.5 cutting high with rotary mower. Lower than 1", you're better off with reel mower and mow twice a week...

You can't simply let it grow tall before mowing. That's why you get brown spots after mowing at 1-1.5" cutting height. It's not very forgiving when it comes to not mowing enough. Zoysia and st augustine are more forgiving and can be mowed higher and less often.

o

Thanks a lot for the reply. So what I deduced from your statement is that the brown spots are coming because im letting the bermudagrass to grow taller between mowing?

Nowadays, im mowing with a rotary mower once in a week witha height of around 1 inch. Do you want me to increase this mowing frequency?

o

When it's hot and growing a lot, you will probably have to mow it twice a week. With any grass you shouldn't cut more than 1/3 of the blade off when mowing. I think what Lou is insinuating is if you cut it high, let it grow, and then try to cut it low it will brown. I made a thread last year that was kind of about the same thing. It had pictures which showed what happens if you cut too much of the blade off. I'll post the link later.

This year I have tried cutting my bermuda on the lowest setting of my rotary mower and had mixed results. My yard is relatively flat but I did have brown spots with the crescent shape which is a classic sign of scalping. I also noticed these areas recovered slower then other areas. I am in the process of raising my lower to the lowest setting I can use without getting that mark. Luckily for me I won't have to raise it more than 1 or 2 settings at the most.

Make sure your blade is sharp. If it is, cut it low consistently. If you are still seeing browning raise it until you don't see it anymore. Your lawn looks flat so I don't think you'll have to raise it much.

o

Great. Thanks for this help. I have noticed that when my mower settings are highest, the grass remains perfectly green and soft. Can you please share that last year thread with me.

Regards

o

I am already having the same problem with mine because it just grows too fast for weekly mowing at my house with rotary mower at 1.5" after that soaking rainfall. I'm trying something different to see what would keep it looking nice but not promote excessive growth... Milorginate that comes with 4% iron monthly throughout the summer. I'm moving up to 2" as well.

o

It took me awhile but I found the link. It is pretty self explanatory. Looking at my grass now and knowing how I am cutting it, I think the measurements are off. I was measuring how high above the ground the blade was instead of measuring the actual grass length. You will see what I am talking about when you see the thread. The grass was probably a little lower than what I said. The first picture is the one I was really referring to. You can see how I tried to take off too much of the blade and it browned but did much better when I only took off a little bit.

I still stand by my original statement of trying to consistently cut it low first, see what happens, and if it continues to brown then raise it. You'll see in the thread where I cut it high and it looked amazing. It was too high though. It had a shaggy look to it and laid straight over when I walked on it

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda mowing height

This post was edited by Sherm1082 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 7:59

o

And as the weeks go by you will find that you will need to raise the mowing height every 3-5 weeks to keep the grass looking green after you mow. This happens as the grass grows faster and you don't mow often enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here