Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda seed head problem

Posted by Sherm1082 Raleigh, NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 11:36

The title pretty much says it all. My bermuda is sprouting seed heads like it's going out of style. I have read and read and read about it but still am not sure what is causing it. I know it's a sign of stress but I can't tell what is causing it. Here's a little about my lawn and lawn care regimen. I have sodded bermuda. My soil is predominantly clay. I fertilize regularly and just started seeing seed heads about a week or two after my first ever alfalfa pellet application (I think that is a coincidence). I am mowing about every 3 - 5 days. Today is Wednesday and I last mowed Friday evening and my grass looks horrible. My yard is predominantly weed free and looks great. I cut my grass with a rotary mower on the 2nd to lowest setting. I have only watered a few times this year.

I am thinking the only stress I am causing my lawn is lack of water because I don't think it's getting enough especially with it getting so hot. It is not getting an inch of water a week BUT I have not seen the bluish gray tint that I hear about and it passes the walk test. Is it possible for my lawn to be stressed from a lack of water even if it isn't showing it in the ways I mentioned above?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda seed head problem

Some species of plants will continually throw up flowers to seed with if 'deadheaded' or 'cut for flowers' so grass and weeds that do the same thing shouldn't be a surprise.

You sure it's Bermuda and not plantain? From a distance some types of plantain wouldn't be easy to distinguish unless you stood right over the plant and compared to the surrounding Bermuda.

My plantain will sprouts new flowers to create seed heads weekly. It's aggravating but other then that the lawn doesn't particularly need mowed right away.

o

My Bermuda is doing the same thing and it's had lots of rain
I've fertilized it too. So is all the neighbors. It's just a natural.
thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

o

Well I cut it today and it looks good again. With the heat picking up and the fertilizing I did last week, It's growing like crazy. I didn't realize how much it had grown. I probably need to start cutting no less than every 3 days. Thanks for the input.

o

I agree that it's probably not a long term problem. Sounds like you're doing things right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here