Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherm1082

Bermuda seed head problem

sherm1082
9 years ago

The title pretty much says it all. My bermuda is sprouting seed heads like it's going out of style. I have read and read and read about it but still am not sure what is causing it. I know it's a sign of stress but I can't tell what is causing it. Here's a little about my lawn and lawn care regimen. I have sodded bermuda. My soil is predominantly clay. I fertilize regularly and just started seeing seed heads about a week or two after my first ever alfalfa pellet application (I think that is a coincidence). I am mowing about every 3 - 5 days. Today is Wednesday and I last mowed Friday evening and my grass looks horrible. My yard is predominantly weed free and looks great. I cut my grass with a rotary mower on the 2nd to lowest setting. I have only watered a few times this year.

I am thinking the only stress I am causing my lawn is lack of water because I don't think it's getting enough especially with it getting so hot. It is not getting an inch of water a week BUT I have not seen the bluish gray tint that I hear about and it passes the walk test. Is it possible for my lawn to be stressed from a lack of water even if it isn't showing it in the ways I mentioned above?

Comments (4)