Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Webs Webs Everywhere!

grasswhisperer
15 years ago

In eastern Mass - we woke up this morning to small webs EVERYWHERE - mostly on lawn, but a few on mulch and wooded areas (on floor ontop of leaves, etc.)

I know there was NOTHING on the lawn last night because I had been out there looking closely at other grass issues...

Pics below.

This MUST be some sort of spider. I hate to treat for spiders because I know they can be beneficial. However - these webs are almost quite literally covering the lawn. I would say about 50% of the lawn surface is covered by a web. These pics show the big, more pronounced ones - but the camera barely pics up the tiny more faint ones - but they are covering the lawn.

Oh - apparently this is rampant throughout town, although my neighbor's 2-month old lawn doesn't have any.

So - before I panic - would love to get any insight.

Thanks!

{{gwi:99503}}

{{gwi:99504}}

{{gwi:99506}}

{{gwi:99507}}

{{gwi:99506}}

Comments (17)

• paulinct
    15 years ago

I can't view your photo, are you able to see it? Could be my firewall, but if you can't see it either could you try to post it again?

Anyway, it sounds more like a lawn fungus to me, and they range in seriousness from mostly benign to very nasty, so you want to figure this out right away. Did the webs start to disappear later in the day? If it is a fungus usually you will see the "webs" early in the morning.

How has the lawn been watered? Late in the afternoon/evening? Have you had high temps and humidity?

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

Looks like grass spider webs. They might have been there all along and you only noticed them this morning when they were covered in dew from the looks on the photo. They probably disappeared after the sun came up and evaporated the dew.

You'll notice a depression or funnel shape in them as can be seen in some on the photo. This is usually where the spider lives. From what I understand they stay in the yard and are not dangerous.

• gryd
    15 years ago

I wouldn't worry. Not a lawn fungus.

• grasswhisperer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input.

Paulinct - I'm not sure how else I could post the photos - I'm using Photobucket and most seem to be able to view them (sorry!)

Assuming these are spiders, should I be concerned that these webs are covering more than 50% of the surface of my lawn? Yikes!

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Hi grasswhisperer, since the other folks can see the photos I'm sure the problem is on my end, so take their advice, not mine!

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

I don't think they hurt the lawn and they do prey on other insects. Next time you mow you'll sweep most of them up. You might want to sharpen your blade too.

• grayentropy
    15 years ago

That is actually a fungus. It is benign. I have a couple that I have been watching this week. The high humidity, daily dinner rain and temperatures are contributing. If you need to spread something to combat I would start with 20lbs/1000 ft^2 of cornmeal. The humidity is suppose to break mid week, and many fungi will go dormant soon.

• wcnitz
    15 years ago

Normally I would say that's clerotinia homoeocarpa (Dollar Spot), but there are no center holes and they look way bigger than normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dollar Spot

• grasswhisperer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grayentropy -

what kind of fungus do you believe this to be? There are hundreds if not thousands of smaller webs that look exactly like a classic spider web. Would this be a fungus? The pictures I've seen of fungus-based webs - the webs look more "fuzzy" stuff growing on the grass - these are more a flat, definite web.

When I asked about this in the original post - it never occured to me that this would be a fungus. I've always heard of sod webworm and wondered what that was - I thought maybe this was it. But doesn't sound like it.

Bergenjersey (by the way I grew up in Ramsey) - I think you're right - I went back out mid afternoon after the dew dried up and the webs, while still there, were basically invisible.

So I'm thinking this is some sort of spider, I'm going to assume harmless, and keep an eye on it.

If spider, I'm also thinking that these could help to keep the mosquito population down. I suppose anything helps.

Thanks!

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

grasswhisperer,

If you want to be sure, next time you're out in the morning when you can see the webs, look for the funnel or depression in the web. If you can't see the spider in the hole, tap on the web with a leaf or something to simulate an insect landing on it. You should see a spider come out of the hole. They're pretty fast.

• decklap
    15 years ago

Its not a fungus if you can't name it. Dollar Spot can exhibit some fuzzy growth but nothing like the size of those spider webs you have growing. Leave them alone.

• register
    15 years ago

in the second picture you can see the funnels

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

"Its not a fungus if you can't name it."

I name it Samuel Pore. There, now it's a fungus :)

• grasswhisperer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll tell you one thing - my new camera really highlights the fact that I have other fungal issues - and that I need to sharpen my blade (which I've already done - thanks bergenjersey)

Thanks all for the insight and advice. I also am curious to know what is attracting so many red-breasted robins to my lawn. I'll post that in a separate post.

Thanks!

• grayentropy
    15 years ago

I still believe that it is a type of dollar spot. I live in MA and my neighbors and I have observed similar phenemenon in late spring when it's wet, hot and humid.

another link

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

This is what {{gwi:99501}}

This is what {{gwi:99502}}

It doesn't look anything like dollar spot.

• decklap
    15 years ago

Earthworms are attracting Robins to your lawn which is a good thing. And its still not dollar spot.