Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrodriguez90

Mixing Weed B Gon and CCO

jrodriguez90
13 years ago

Hey all,

I have both Weed B Gon and Chickweed/Clover/Oxalis in concentrate form. To save time I wanted to put them into my sprayer together. First, can these products be mixed? Second, at what ratio? For example if I fill my sprayer with 2 Gals do I use 2 oz of each product, or 1 oz each?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• nicolesmg
    13 years ago

The two products should not be mixed. The dilution rate for Chickweed Clover and Oxalis killer should be mixed at 1 oz of product per gallon of water. The dilution rate for Ortho Weed b Gon MAX is 2 oz of product per gallon of water (for northern grass types) or 1 oz of product per gallon of water (for soouthern grass types)

• beehive21
    13 years ago

On the left side, there are the old instructions for mixing the 2...

Here is a link that might be useful: COMBINE WITH WEED-B-GON® WEED KILLER FOR LAWNS CONCENTRATE

• andy10917
    13 years ago

Those instructions are for mixing CCO with regular WBG, not WBG Max. You will be overdosing if you use those instructions for WBG Max. Triclopyr burns grass for quite a while if overdosed.

• ACharles
    13 years ago

How soon can one be used after the other? I used Weed b Gone on Monday.

• beehive21
    13 years ago

Oops, didn't think of that andy. Good thing it didn't damage my fescue when I did it a month or more ago. I've seen no overdosing effects, other than dead weeds.

• glenforest
    13 years ago

Just to clarify: the OP was asking about WBG (not WBG Max) and CCO. These can be mixed according to the label on the CCO concentrate, which is linked above.

WBG Max was brought up in the second and subsequent posts with the warning that it already contains some of the active ingredient found in CCO.

• andy10917
    13 years ago

Hmmmm - interesting. Ortho hasn't made plain old WBG for two years, and any bottles older than that HAVE the instructions for how to mix it with CCO. So why is he asking? The only product left under the original WBG brand is WBG Spot Weed Killer for St Aug Lawns...

• drtbar
    3 years ago

The link that you posted is no longer valid. Can someone post the mixing instructions for Weed B Gon and Oxalis killer?

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Is it me or has there been a real rash of decade old threads being reopened?

@drtbar why do you want to mix them? I think CCO will kill pretty much everything that the regular Weed B Gone will kill, plus the CCO.

• drtbar
    3 years ago

I have a fair amount of weed b gon and thought it had more broadleaf coverage than CCO

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Regrettably, Andy did not give us the target Triclopyr with the 1.5% and 8% combo mix, or I could easily do it for you (math is not an issue or problem for me and I find myself with much time on my hands and little money in my purse, but not being named Ishmael, nor being interested in going to sea, but rereading many classics at the moment).

OK, follow me here. But first, a warning. And I really, really mean this one, from somebody who's not big on warnings and usually just says, "Oh, throw the stuff around." So please take this one quite seriously.

Given that you're mixing Triclopyr, Dicamba, and 2,4-d and some lawns are going to have peculiar sensitivities to that (some well-bred cultivars, I'm looking at you), test this mix before using it wholesale across the lawn and do not use this on hot or sunny days.

CCO is 1 fl oz per gallon of water per 200 square feet for recommended lawns.

Max is 2 oz per gallon of water per 500 square feet for northern lawns (because CCO is not generally used on southern lawns, but let me know).

Because neither Scotts' nor America is capable of standardizing jack crap and I like transparency, I'll keep this simple and do it separately.

Therefore, you non-standardizing, TP-hoarding Scotts' company kflxovod... grrr:

CCO is 2 fl oz per gallon of water per 400 sq ft or

CCO is 2.5 fl oz per gallon of water per 500 square feet for northern lawns.

Max is 2 fl oz per gallon of water per 500 square feet for northern lawns and doesn't show that it contains any Triclopyr So this is actually very easy and the same for any other material that does not contain additional Triclopyr that you'd like to mix.

Still with me here? Good.

Therefore, if you were to mix the two at fifty-fifty and apply at 4.5 oz per gallon (if you have that setting, 5 if you don't) of water to cover 500 square feet, nobody is going to fault you for this. It'll work but might be a bit slow or just a touch spotty on some of the things that CCO would kill.

Technically, this is an 90% of the Triclopyr resulting chemical. Trust me, this is usually enough and see that warning above. I don't like the amplification possibilities I'm seeing in some of these chemicals. Do a follow-up treatment 2 weeks later as a spot-spray if required.

Now, if it were me? I'd pour off my remaining Max and measure it. Take that amount and multiply by 0.25, then add that much distilled or purified (it doesn't really matter which) water into the Max. Then do the mix as above at fifty-fifty but spray at 5 ounces per gallon.

So if I had 7 ounces of Max remaining, I'd take 7*0.25 = 1.75, measure out 1.75 ounces of distilled water, and pour it into my Max container for a grand total of 8.75 ounces of diluted mix. Then use that at fifty-fifty mix at 5 oz per gallon.

However, if it were me? I'd be testing that and using a much more gentle 4 oz per gallon equivalent, and spot-spraying to begin with.

(Actually, if it were me, I wouldn't use this mix at all, but that's quite another story. To each his own).