Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranger481vs_gw

Any good options for a quick connection for garden hose?

ranger481vs
12 years ago

Does anyone have experience with a quick connection attachment for a garden hose? Specifically, is there one that that does leak like crazy??

Comments (10)

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

What do you mean by "quick connection attachment for a garden hose"?

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Like a coupler attachment that allows you to quickly connect a hose to a faucet or to another hose quickly, instead of the standard screw-together method.

Just wondering if there are any good ones out there that don't leak badly.

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

This may be a dumb question, but is there a rubber seal inside the screw-on connection you are currently using? Also, are the threads stripped on your current connection? There is probably a good reason why your current hose connection is leaking.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

All of the cheapy made garden center variety quick connects leak to some degree.

If you are serious about using quick connects, look into the type that is used with industrial air hoses. Just make sure you keep the dirt out of them or they will leak a little bit as well.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

I only use Craftsman hoses (guaranteed for life). But I do not like to return them for a leaky brass fitting. Brass has a problem in that it will erode QUICKLY when a water leak occurs. If you do not tighten it enough just one time, that will start the erosion process and after that it is just a matter of time. The female side is impossible to fix. It has to be replaced when it leaks.

To fix that I go to plastic fittings. Plastic does not erode. Also with plastic I find it much easier to connect and tighten without leaks. I like the fittings at Lowe's better than anywhere else. The other thing I do is replace the flat washer in the female side with an O-ring. I believe it is a #15 O-ring that fits. I get them at Ace or at Lowe's.

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

The only thing I know is that when I use a regular 5/8" hose with a rubber seal, and the ends are screwed on correctly and tight, my garden hose does not leak; not at the spigot, or at any other connection.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

I don't think he is referring to the traditional garden hose couplings. What he is using is an easily disconnected hose attachment styled after the connections on air tools.

I have used the cheapy ones at garden centers from time to time but they are not great quality and will leak after a short period of time.

• Diane Hayes
    3 years ago

Melnor quick connect, cheap and easy

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

dchall_san_antonio 8 years ago

I only use Craftsman hoses (guaranteed for life).

😢

• mishmosh
    3 years ago

All my quick connects work great. you just need to buy a pack of the special washers for the female end and replace them as needed when they start to leak. that may be just a year but typical every 2 or three years.