Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any good options for a quick connection for garden hose?

Posted by ranger481vs (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 12:11

Does anyone have experience with a quick connection attachment for a garden hose? Specifically, is there one that that does leak like crazy??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any good options for a quick connection for garden hose?

What do you mean by "quick connection attachment for a garden hose"?

o

Like a coupler attachment that allows you to quickly connect a hose to a faucet or to another hose quickly, instead of the standard screw-together method.

Just wondering if there are any good ones out there that don't leak badly.

o

This may be a dumb question, but is there a rubber seal inside the screw-on connection you are currently using? Also, are the threads stripped on your current connection? There is probably a good reason why your current hose connection is leaking.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 18:47

All of the cheapy made garden center variety quick connects leak to some degree.

If you are serious about using quick connects, look into the type that is used with industrial air hoses. Just make sure you keep the dirt out of them or they will leak a little bit as well.

o

I only use Craftsman hoses (guaranteed for life). But I do not like to return them for a leaky brass fitting. Brass has a problem in that it will erode QUICKLY when a water leak occurs. If you do not tighten it enough just one time, that will start the erosion process and after that it is just a matter of time. The female side is impossible to fix. It has to be replaced when it leaks.

To fix that I go to plastic fittings. Plastic does not erode. Also with plastic I find it much easier to connect and tighten without leaks. I like the fittings at Lowe's better than anywhere else. The other thing I do is replace the flat washer in the female side with an O-ring. I believe it is a #15 O-ring that fits. I get them at Ace or at Lowe's.

o

The only thing I know is that when I use a regular 5/8" hose with a rubber seal, and the ends are screwed on correctly and tight, my garden hose does not leak; not at the spigot, or at any other connection.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 19:03

I don't think he is referring to the traditional garden hose couplings. What he is using is an easily disconnected hose attachment styled after the connections on air tools.

I have used the cheapy ones at garden centers from time to time but they are not great quality and will leak after a short period of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here