Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bheron_gw

When to fertilize?

bheron
10 years ago

HI all,
First thanks so much to this forum. I've spent the last 8 years getting my lawn into shape, making mistake after mistake, but learning. My lawn is in very good shape..finally.

My question is:

I had my most recent soil test done in 2012 and it recommends to apply fertilizer (as noted in the test) 3 times per year in my area:

1) mid-spring (may)
2) late summer (sept)
3) late fall (nov).

Normally I fertilize:
1) late march
2) late may
3) early to mid sept

So I'd be applying my 2nd round by now. Is that too much? I feel like the application in late march was a long time ago?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I feel like in my area those are the best growing times.

Comments (3)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Cool season Turf responds best to the schedule that was recommended. Additional applications can be applied based on the type of turf and maximum growth rate desired. Summer application should be avoided unless regular watering is available and strictly followed. Keep in mind that the most important application is the late Fall winterizer.

• bheron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, I had no idea about any of that grass1950. I always went with the idea to keep it well fed during the best growing weather (for me mid-july to end-august is too hot).

Had no idea that the lat fall winterizer is the most important?! wow. why?

Also, "Additional applications can be applied based on the type of turf and maximum growth rate desired" - can you explain? I believe I have mostly kentucky bluegrass with some tall fescue mixed in. I'd prefer lush, thick green grass :-)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Winterizer: An application of N (usually fast release urea-46-0-0). Applied after topgrowth has ceased or at least signifficantly slowed. Turf roots growth is at its greatest at temps between 50 and 65 degrees. N not be used for topgrowth is available to the root system. Applying winterizer at the correct time makes N available for root growth and for carbohydrate storage. Winterized lawns show early Spring green-up (in part, likely due to carb reserves) Besides the aesthetic advantage of early Spring green-up, the turf is also procucing additional root growth during Spring soil temps in the 50-65 degree range--making for healthier sturdier turf.

Annual N recommendations range between 3#/k (TTTF and 5#/k (KBG). 3#/k annually, if applied at the proper times should be sufficient to keep turf healthy. Additional N applications, if accompanied by sufficient watering, will result in green thick lawns (more of an aesthetic advantage than a turf health issue), but will also result in additional top growth. This means more mowing. Maximum desired growth rate : how often you want to mow and water determines how much additional N to apply, but remember that additional N makes for succulent turf blades rich in nutrients that are more susceptable to disease during the summer and requires a watchfull eye and quick and costly preventative applications. N applications during Summer require "golf course" watering regiments--if not they are also going to be much less draught tolerant.
    Hope that answered your questions.