Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenstater11

White web at base of lawn with small black dots

GardenStater11
9 years ago

I got my lawn off to a great start this spring. Liquid Prodiamine application, followed by weed and feed I had for green up and elimination of any existing weeds. Lawn looked great minimal weeds, spot treat with 24d mix as needed. Recently applied a mixture of a Milorganite and turf fertilizer mix as experiment. Math was done as not to overdue nitrogen or iron. Was hoping the Milorganite would provide steady release during coming hot months and id get one nice green burst to try and maintain. No problems, watered in as needed. Mix was done on front yard, backyard was milorganite only. Never got a nice burst of dark green. Right now the entire lawn looks the same. It looks dry, the grass is definitely browning up/drying out, I am assuming from lack of rain as most other lawns are starting to suffer around here too. There is an equal mixture of yellow blades and green blades around the whole yards. Around healthy blades there is some dry brown straw like blades. No spots anywhere. The lawn looks okay, I'd say it's probably better then average HOWEVER I am being cautious and overly concerned I think. I have more thatch then usual, that is also an issue and I'm wondering if that is causing a loss of water/nutrients. Can I dethatch right now in the beginning of summer?

Well now that you've read the boom I wrote I have one last questions. I just went out and dug up a few small spots around the yard to look for bug/grubs. What I found looked like white webs all over in and under the thatch layer. Inside the white web was little black beads that sort of looked like milorganite but I'm guessing it's eggs of some sort. Do I have some moths or beetles destroying my lawn? Any suggestions please. I can prob upload some pics at some point if need be.

Comments (10)

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

When you walk the lawn in the evening do you stir up any small low-flying moths?

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

What is your watering regimen? How often and for how long?
    What kind of grass do you have?
    Do you have much shade?

• GardenStater11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I noticed a flurry of moths at one point at dusk. It didn't click though. That has to be it. What causes this? Sod webworm? Any tips on treating it?

I've been watering as needed. we had a very weird spring with lots of flooding till late so haven't needed much. but suddenly we had a brief period of high temps and no rain that did a number on the grass. It's a kbg and fescue blend. not a lot of shade at all. The grass has always been beautiful. I've had companies take care of it in the past. I guess I overlooked insects while I was focused destroying every weed I could find

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Sod webworms are usually pretty innocuous, but can cause considerable damage to stressed turf. If you do have webworms, you'll need to i.d. them for best treatment application, some have two annual generations. Use a can opened at both ends and place it on the turf and pour a mixture of dish soap and water into it so it floods the turf. This will cause most worms and grubs to surface, then id the insect before you apply any insecticide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Usefull guide to turf problems.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Took me a while to find this again but it is a great resource for narrowing insect damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Got bugs?

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

If it aint bugs, this is a great tool for disease i.d.
    (I really like NCSU apps, if you haven't noticed, they are undoubtedly some of the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Got disease?

• GardenStater11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is really hard to diagnose these things. I appreciate all the help and links that have been extremely helpful. I may post some pictures tonight. I don't think my thatch is as bad as I thought but I have been reading that a dethatch may help. they are definitely white webs in and under the thatch but I have not seen a single worm or grub or anything. I have seen a flurry of moths at one point as I mentioned early. I am partly wondering if the grass is drying out and fighting dormancy. The backyard looks a lot better more green.

The thing that gets me is that there is no spots it's a noticeable discoloration and dryness in. the entire lawn. After my last application I was expecting a nice green up. I refuse to put down an insecticide if I don't need it. I've read multiple sites stating that BT is a viable option for the webworm.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

An overall discoloration and general turf stress can be a signal of a soil problem-- deficiency of nutrient or possibly moisture retention. A soil test (logan labs) and a jar test will help track it down. An easy first step is to take a long screw driver and see how deep and easily it will penetrate.
    Early spring or the fall is the time to dethatch KB. In the fall you can combine it with overseeding.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Caterpillars are trivial to treat with either BT Worm Killer or with an organic material called spinosad. BT targets caterpillars. Spinosad is the ingredient in some insect killers but is not selective.

I need more definition to this statement...I've been watering as needed. When do you water after a rain and how long do you water?

• gsweater
    9 years ago

And for a hippy treatment - Neem works well. The smell is like Milo, soaked in wet socks for a period of months, that were surrounded by plastic bags of white rotted onions - with just a hint of homeless/garlic. Available in the 1.75 oz spray in the US market soon. The wife and kids love it when I spray >: )