Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you use a Sod-Cutter on dead grass/dirt?

Posted by viche 7a MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 10 at 12:33

So I killed off a big patch (700 sqft) of poa trivialis about 5 or 6 weeks ago with roundup.

I delayed getting new sod and now the grass has decompossed into a thin layer of dead grass with a lot of dirt showing.

I know I shouldn't till, but I need to prep the area for sod and get it down 3/4" so that the sod lays level with the surrounding lawn.

Can I use a sod cutter when the grass has been dead so long?

I dug into the dirt and their appears to be a little bit of roots left. Soil is clayish.

So if I use a sod cutter, will it just make a mess, or will it cut a layer of dirt (with a little dead grass in it) that is relatively easy to roll and remove?

What should I do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you use a Sod-Cutter on dead grass/dirt?

My father in law, just used a sod cutter 2 weeks ago or so. He had to move his grass to level it with a new patio that got installed.

Anyways, the spots of his that he had dead grass, cut and pulled up just like the grass cuts. The dirt Was moist, so maybe thats why it stuck together as though it had grass growing in it, it did have roots all through it though imagine that was more of why it worked than the dirt being wet.

His soil was heavy clay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here