Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

Sprinklers left on -- new sod

vp_78
9 years ago

Ugh so apparently my 4 year old was playing with the on/off switch on our sprinkler system this morning, and my newly sodded lawn (sod was laid 2 weeks ago) has been watered for almost an hour and a half!!! Are we going to lose the sod? Should I put down an anti-fungal? We're supposed to go to watering once a day after today (recommended watering for week one was 3 times a day, week two twice a day, and week three once a day) so I certainly won't water for the rest of the day and the sun is coming out but is there anything else proactive I can do? It's 9:30 a.m. right now FYI...

Comments (5)

• andy10917
    9 years ago

It will not be a problem. That will be normal watering in three months (although 1X-2X a week).

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I agree with andy that it won't be a problem. I might disagree with watering frequency depending on where you are in San Diego. I don't need the street corner, but the name of your community will do. Lawn care is much different back up in La Mesa versus La Jolla.

What kind of grass did you put down?

It also depends on your sprinkler or system. If I water normally, I leave the oscillator sprinkler on for 8 hours. You folks in SoCal need to simply stop listening to your sprinkler installers for watering advice. Eventually you SHOULD go to watering once per week when temps are above 90 degrees F. Again, if you live in El Cajon that is meaningful. If you live in National City, then you would never water once a week on an established lawn.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in the Vista area. And we have your basic pop-up rotary sprinkler I suppose. Another question - how much longer should we keep off the grass? Right now we have our lawn taped off so that nobody can walk on it, and we're itching to remove the tape!

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

The most critical time is when the new roots are just knitting into the underlying soil. If you break he roots right then, you might lose some grass. Once they are knit down (try to lift the piece of sod), I'd give it a few more days and then walk on it. I would not have a dance party for a few weeks, though.

Vista! Wow! Wasn't expecting that. Perfect climate and best kept secret location in the USA. But what's up with Vista? Do people just not water the lawns? Is water really expensive? I know y'all had a drought. Are you still under water restrictions? Vista is in the marine influence which means cool winds and fairly high humidity. It's not exactly National City but you are on the west side of the hills which is plenty good enough. Y'all should have great lawns with minimal watering.

With your pop ups, be sure you get good overlapping coverage. Put some cat food or tuna cans out to measure how long it takes to get an inch of water. That will be your target time for when your grass is mature and you do water. In Vista you may never, ever, have to water as often as once a week. Your high today is 70. That is once every 3 week type of watering. Are y'all affected by Santa Ana winds? If those persist longer than a week you would want to water weekly, but they don't normally.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laughing at the dance party! :)

Thank you for the props about my town! Yes, the climate is lovely here. We're not as expensive as coastal Carlsbad or Encinitas, and we get the double bonus of not getting totally socked in during May Gray/June Gloom but we don't get hot like Escondido or Rancho Bernardo or other towns along the 15. We do get Santa Anas -- can't escape 'em even when you are literally on the coast, unfortunately. We just had a gnarly Santa Ana a few weeks ago (abnormal in May) and there were two significant fires around us in Carlsbad and in San Marcos/Escondido.

Regarding the weather, even though the predictions say 70, for example, it's always much hotter in the sun -- so the garden centers typically say that 4.5 - 5 hours of sun here can be considered full sun (where other places would need between 6-8 hours of sun).

I'll post a pic of our newly sodded little plot of heaven later this afternoon! (That's the downside of living here -- tiny plots of land -- I'm sure in San Antonio y'all are used to much more open spaces!!!)

Thanks for the info!!!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz