Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown patch on zoysiagrass

Posted by Ginnger Alabama (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 12:55

Is there an organic treatment that "really" works to eliminate brown patch and brown dead spots on Zoysiagrass?

If so, what is the formula and frequency of application?

Thanks

Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown patch on zoysiagrass

I have some zoysia in my yard. What a pain!! There are a few zoysia lawns in my neighborhood that I watch carefully. They are all suffering from heat stress this year, but no disease. I need to find out which variety they have because these lawns have outlasted my predictions of doom by 2 years. My zoysia is more of an experiment than anything else. This year I am experimenting with recover from no water. So far watering it has not greened up anything.

I have never seen zoysia get a disease and recover from it all in one growing season. What I see is the lawn continuing to have a dead spot long after (successful???) treatment and only coming back with the following growing season. They probably neglected to tell you that when you were buying the grass.

The popular organic treatment for other grasses is ORDINARY corn meal, not corn GLUTEN meal. The application rate for prevention of disease is 10 pounds per 1,000 square feet per month. The app rate for cure is 20 (or more) pounds per 1,000. But even if you cure it in zoysia, it likely will not green up again this year.

o
RE: brown patch on zoysiagrass

Thanks for the response! How is the corn meal applied? I assume with a dry casting spreadder? I have made one application of the reccomended chemical product and have to make another in about a month and then again. I had submitted a sample of the dead area and a growing area and found the Ph was low (4.6) in the dead and (6.1) in the living. One other thing concerning zoysia is that we probably are over feeding and leaving too much thatch. Like you said we do not know the problem areas with this grass when we plant it or sod with it

I'm not happy to hear that the brown and dead spots will be with us this year but if it comes back in the spring I can live with that.

Again, Thanks.... Ray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here