Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ammonium sulfate for grass?

Posted by palmtreeguy CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 12:56

Hello all. I purchased a home with bermuda grass throughout the front and back. I was wondering if it's ok to add fertilizer along with ammonium sulfate to the grass? I'm still learning the ropes on lawn care so any input will be very helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ammonium sulfate for grass?

Ammonium sulfate IS a kind of fertilizer.

Most important for Bermuda is regular watering with 'enough" water and mowing to the right height. Get this lawn watering guide: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/Items/8044.aspx

Skip the fertilizer until you get the watering and mowing figured out.

o

Do some searching for the Bermuda Bible as it will answer most of your questions.

Bermuda is a nitrogen hog, and it needs lots of it, 1 pound per 1000/ft2 every 30 days.

Ammonia Sulfate is a fertilizer, but a piss poor one at that for most folks. It is 21% nitrogen which is a good thing, but 24% sulfur. Great to use if you have alkaline soils, but a disaster if you have neutral or acidic soils which most people have.

For Bermuda the best fertilizer you can use is a slow release urea formula like a 39-0-0.

o

I am really concerned about the what was just put on my grass. I am really a novice at this, but think it is time for me to take charge. They put 25-005 50% ammonia sulfate on the lawn and it is dying. I am watering like crazy, but it makes no difference. Isn't it too late in the year for such a high content of ammonia sulfate?

o

LJ it depends. If you have bermuda then you can get away with it. But if you have anything else, it would be a problem. Continue watering like crazy for a few days to wash it through.

If you want to fertilize you can use organic fertilizer but that's all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here