Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daikon_tomato

No Mow Grass

daikon_tomato
16 years ago

Hi,

I know that some people LOVE mowing their lawn but I happened to be in the opposite camp. Does anyone know of any seed mix, grass, something green that requires minimal care, fertilizing, watering and mowing that will do well in the Northern VA, D.C. area?

Thanks.

Roger

Comments (9)

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

White Clover

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Astroturf. Alternately, you might want to look into the Friendly Robotics Robomower (no, I don't work for them and I don't sell them, I just own one and love it). Set out on lawn, press button, go do something you enjoy, come back and collect it when its done.

Mine is named Myrtle.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

I don't know of any for your area that aren't flowering mixtures. You can google no mow grass and find lots of results, including some kind of growth inhibitor innoculant.

• Billl
    16 years ago

If you want something that looks like a nice grass lawn, you gotta mow it. If you want it to be green, you are going to have to fertilize and water too.

If you want something "green" you might consider a mix of clover and creeping fescue. It probably won't impress the neighbors much, but it will look better than planting a "normal" lawn and then just not taking care of it.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I agree with bill.
    I have a "Low Mow" tall fescue blend consisting of dwarf tall fescue varieties. It is not no mow but I don't have to mow it that often. Unfortunately I mixed in other grasses which are anything but low mow so I messed it up. It still needs a lot of care but if it's mowing you don't want look for low mow tall fescue blends (dwarfs).
    It's a good compromise.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

check out www.prairienurery.com, they sell a no-mow lawn mix. My sister has it in her back yard.

• princess_ging
    16 years ago

I'm considering, yes intentionally, planting clover. I don't want my neighbors hating me and plotting to slash my tires while I sleep. How deep are the roots? Can I insert some sort of barrior into the ground to prevent spreading? Are the flowers seed producers?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Clover's not all that invasive in a reasonably well-maintained lawn. Rooting seems to be about as deep as grass, give or take, by the fact that it's hard to pull out. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they're 2" or 8", however, as I don't really know.

The flowers will produce seed if pollinated and allowed to go to seed. Judicious mowing can slow that down, but a lot of clovers will throw low flowers that will seed regardless. You just cut off the tall ones.

Don't place a barrier as it's going to interfere more with the grass and the water distribution than anything else.

Your neighbors shouldn't slash your tires, I would think. If my next-door neighbor were to add clover, I'd find it attractive. I weed anyway, so pulling out clover instead of black medic or crabgrass would be just fine.

• littlesprouts
    10 years ago

We love it and had some maintenance the first year. It needed weeding but not much for watering. Note that it gets thicker every year so there is less and less work involved.

We mow it once a month, if that, in the spring and let it go until fall.

It is very northern hardy so I can't speak about southern dry climates, but it has reduced our maintenance.
    And, because it's been around for so long, we know it's not a gMO product.

See: http//:NoMowGrass.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Short grass