Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gambleress

Pennington Bermuda Triangle

gambleress
15 years ago

Has anyone used this seed sucessfully in Central Oklahoma?

Comments (17)

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

gamberless you should be OK with a Trianble blend. Your Biggest risk will be the first winter after planting. If OKC really gets a hard doze of extended freezing temps where the gtound freezes, it will kill the shallow rootings of the first year. Once you get the second season you should be OK.

The only other thing you might notice is the Triangle blend will go dormant sooner than say Tifway the most common variety found in your area, and a slightly later green-up in the spring.

• gambleress
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is Tifway avail in seed?

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

No sod, plugs and sprigs only. Tifway is a hybrid.

What you can do is this depending on your budget. Buy one pallet of Tifway-I or II, cut it up into plugs or shred into sprigs and plant. It will be a lot of work especially if you are trying to cover a large are. But it is a thought I had for you.

Every sod farm in your area carries Tifway.

• tak2w
    15 years ago

Here is my Triangle yard taken in September '06. This was it's first summer...it was planted in May '06. I don't have any more recent photos handy, but this will give you an idea of what it can look like in the first growing season.
    [IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/tak2w/DSC00342.jpg[/IMG]

• tak2w
    15 years ago

{{gwi:86418}}

• gambleress
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very nice yard. I have over 1 1/2 acre. Is the Triangle very soft? In Oklahoma everyone has U3, I am just trying to get best possible on a budget and cannot afford Rivera. There is a Princess 77 w/Sultan. I was considering it but I dont know if it can hold up during winter. Suprizingly every single seed company I called here sold Arizona common and u3 but no other improved seeds.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

Um U3 is an exxcellent choice for you and used to be the standard before Tifway became available. It should be dirt cheap like $5 per pound.

• tak2w
    15 years ago

The triangle is soft, varies depending on the mowing height, but not quite as soft as my neighbor's Tifway. The triangle is more of a medium width blade compared to Tifway. My total yard is 2/3 acre and it was going to be $6K for sod, so I seeded instead. I don't regret it, but if money was no object, I would definitely go with a hybrid, probably Tifway II.

• gambleress
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I may lay some Tifway close to house, and seed the rest. We have already spent 1600 just sodding the bar ditch so would not wash out. New house, New yard.. I really appreciate the Feedback.. I would love to have YUKON but it is out of stock and VERY pricey. I wonder if I put the Tifway close to house and bermuda in back if it would match close enough?

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

I suggest you take a look at U3, after all it is what Yukon was developed from.

Here is a brief description from Plant Answers:

U-3 (C. dactylon). Selected from Savannah Golf Club near Savannah, Georgia in 1936 from a series of fine-strain selections. Selected because of its cold hardiness, fine texture, rapid spread and durability under a wide range of soil and climatic conditions. The selection was released in 1957 by the Crops Research Division, ARS, USDA, and the U.S. Golf Association Green Section. Adapted for use on lawns, golf courses and athletic fields.

It is worth consideration for the price and availabilty alone.

Another thing you can do with Tifway to stretch it besides cutting it up into small plugs is cut it in say 1-foot squares and lay in a checker board pattern. Won't cover as big an area as plugs, but a lot less work.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

One more thing here as some of the best documents ever written for consumers on Bermuda grass. You will appreciate where they are from. Take some time to download and read them. It will open your eyes and provide a wealth of info.

Bermuda Bible 1
    Bermuda Bible 2
    Bermuda Bible 3

• mmqb
    15 years ago

Tak2w
    Where exactly are you located in NC? Do you ever overseed with rye? Great yard man!

• gambleress
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, Tex I took your advice and looked more into U3 and possibility of sprigging vs. Seed. I talked to numerous sod companies this morning and was told no one really spriggs anymore. BUT, I found someone who does sprigg and will sprigg the full acre and a half with U3 for 1500.00. He claims it will be more full and less dead spots than seed. Do you think this is a good idea? Sorry I am so new to this lawn stuff I am clueless.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

Yeah it is a heck of a deal, in fact sounds too good to be true, so be careful and get details in writing. I am confused, sprigging U3 is fine but if your budget is a concern why not seed U3? Just curious so please don't be offended.

It is true not many if any landscapers sprig any more. It is very labor intensive to do right. It is more of a DIY thing, and us sod farmers do it on our farms.

• gambleress
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was going to seed but then I ask for price to sprigg. It seemed more cost effective than seeding. I just got off the phone with them, they are going to mow, disk and sprigg for 1750.00. The only BIG concern I have is being able to keep it wet enough.

• tak2w
    15 years ago

mmqb wrote:
    "Tak2w, Where exactly are you located in NC? Do you ever overseed with rye? Great yard man!"

mmqb,
    I am in Greenville, and based on the recommendations on this forum, I have never overseeded with rye. I have some neighbors that do in their 419 yards, and it is usually July before the bermuda completely greens back up. I am still trying to get my yard to completely thicken up in 100% of the yard, so I don't want any competition from rye.

• Seed.World.USA
    11 years ago

If your interested in getting the Triangle Bermuda Seed.

Use coupon code seed4life to save 10%

See link below photo...

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Shane : Seed World USA

Here is a link that might be useful: Triangle Bermuda Grass Seed