Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

Japanese Stiltgrass control

ikea_gw
12 years ago

I have patches of Japanese stiltgrass in my front lawn. Would any of the broadleaf weed killer be effective on this? Do you have any tips on controlling them? I did one round of corn gluten in March and it seems to have helped a little but it didn't provide completely control. The stiltgrass just appeared in the last 2 weeks so they are quite young.

Comments (12)

• Jesse
    12 years ago

if herbicides will help (I'm not experienced in whether they will treat the stiltgrass), they will help the most when the plant is young.

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

Acclaim Extra is labeled for control of Japanese Stiltgrass. If you are on cool-season grass, apply Acclaim Extra herbicide at the label rate; 2 applications applied 4 weeks apart. Get Acclaim Extra at your nearest John Deere Landscapes/Lesco store.

• botanicalbill
    12 years ago

try my link below. It says that round up and fluazifop-p-butyl work to kill and control.

Since it is a grass any 2,4-d or broad leaf killers will not work on this plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPS

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

Stiltgrass is a grass and will not be affected by a broadleaf weed killer. Kill it with glyphosphate (Round-Up is one brand). It will also kill your normal grass so be careful about overspray. Some overspray is inevitable. If you have Kentucky bluegrass adjacent to the stiltgrass, then the KBG will eventually fill back in. If you have fescue then you will have to reseed in the fall. You might wait until late summer to kill the stiltgrass. That way you will not have a big bare spot.

I am going to guess that the stiltgrass is in a poorly drained area. Second guess is that you are watering more often than once per week. Stiltgrass is a swamp grass and only thrives in moist soil.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

DUDE! We must have all gotten off work at the same time!!

• botanicalbill
    12 years ago

It is also an annual grass, so it will die this winter. This fall and next spring, use a pre-emergent on your lawn.

• botanicalbill
    12 years ago

I just noticed that too dchall. Funny!

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

Lol@ dchall!!!

Apply Acclaim Extra now for post-emerge control, and as previously mentioned, apply pre-emerge herbicide next spring for control of Japanese Stiltgrass. Dimension herbicide will give good pre-emerge control next Spring.

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dchall_san_antonio, not sure about what kind of drainage my lawn has but I don't water it at all. It however is in partial shade with tall fescue, so I can see how the soil stays fairly moist. If it were up to me, I'd not grow any grass there but the SO disagrees.

The corn gluten I used was an organic pre-emerge lawn weed treatment. It is however not 100%. Is any of the chemical stuff 100%?

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

100% what?

Are you saying you have moist soil and never water? Get a lot of rain this year?

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

100% effective in pre emergent weed control.

I have moist soil and I never water. I live on the east coast where it rains regularly and the tall trees provide some shade for that part of the lawn.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

must be nice!!

Nothing is 100% effective as a preem. The reason is basic timing. A preem is effective for a certain time and then it decomposes into ineffectivness. If your weeds are sprouting while the preem is in an effective state, then you have a high probability of effectiveness. If the weeds are not ready to sprout, then you may miss the window. This year my wife wants me to apply corn gluten meal every month to help with weeds. It is a fantastic fertilizer so I have the best of all worlds working for me. Grass is very dense so that helps keep weeds out. Normally I would be fighting weeds all summer in the extremely shady back, but this year is all grass.

The problem with continually moist soil is that weed seeds need continually moist soil in order to sprout. One possible benefit there is that once all the weed seeds sprout, there are no more weed seeds.