Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New sod bumpy over tree roots

Posted by sojay 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 13:52

I just had centipede sod installed yesterday and I am concerned with one area that has big tree roots sticking out of the previous lawn. All they did was tiller the area till it looked fluffy, and then level with a rake, and then they placed the rolls on that, maybe adding a few bags of topsoil. The roots can be felt so much through the sod that you can easily trip on them. Shall I ask them to pull it up and add a lot more topsoil? When we talked about the job ahead of time I was assuming they'd put out a truckload of soil, not just a few bags.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New sod bumpy over tree roots

If the tree is living then those roots need to breathe- you will smother that tree. Redesign the sod plan and leave an adequate area around the tree free of sod.
If the tree is dead dig out the roots and prep the area properly before laying the sod.

So yes, call them back.

o
RE: New sod bumpy over tree roots

Thank you for your response. Wow I didn't think of that, so thank you for alerting me. I promptly started researching articles about exposed roots, but after initially being quite alarmed, I'm wondering if it would do so much harm if the area of grass under the tree is only less than a quarter 'pie slice' of the surrounding of the tree, with the rest being natural, the pine straw droppings are left in place as mulch, also immediately around the trunk, maybe 3-4' radius only mulch. The exposed roots are, I believe, mostly due to erosion. On the other hand, I'd hate to loose this old growth 50+' loblolly pine with a trunk circumference that requires two people to reach around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here