Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mowing newly seeded lawn

Posted by ajc44b Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 13:59

I aerated and seeded my lawn and I am seeing grass come up! There are thick patches where the seed fell into the holes from the aeration and there are individual stems of grass coming up sparsely throughout the lawn. It has been about 2-3 weeks or so. Some of the grass in the holes is 3-4 inches but some of the sparsely growing grass is pretty small and fragile looking. I used a mix of seed includng fescue, rye and kentucky blue grass. So of the pre-existing grass (which was hardly any) is very long (about 8 inches or so) with seeds growing on the top. It looks pretty ridiculous and I wanted to know when I could mow my yard without doing damage. Should I remove the bag from the mower allowing the grass to fall back on the lawn and maybe help fertilize the new seed and grass? Most of the longer grass in on the boarder of my yard, should I just mow this for now and stay away from the new grass? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mowing newly seeded lawn

The problem with moving new grass is that the blade may pull the whole thing out of the ground. If you must do it, make sure you sharpen the blades.

Paul

o
RE: mowing newly seeded lawn

1. Make sure your mower blade is razor sharp and balanced. This is critical. If you mow new seedlings the first time with a dull blade, you are likely going to pull most of the seedlings out of the ground. If you don't know how to sharpen a mower blade yourself, have a lawn mower repair shop do it for you. Believe me, it is worth the time and expense.

2. Raise the deck on your mower to the highest setting possible.

3. Collect your clippings.

What you would want to do is to turn off the water on the day you are going to mow. Wait until the afternoon and then mow when the lawn has had a chance to dry out a little bit. You may even need to mow a second time, in a different direction, to get all the grass cut evenly and collect all the clippings. After you are finished mowing, you will want to water your lawn.

With your existing grass that high, you will be emptying your bag alot. Don't allow the bag to get so full that the clippings are not being collected and are clogging up under the deck. Empty the bag often. If you make a second cut, it wont be nearly as time consuming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here