Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maine_lawn_nut

'Keep Off Grass' sign & neighbors

maine_lawn_nut
14 years ago

I have to ask, "why me?".

I'm doing my new construction lawn and have spent a ton of money on landscaping. Now I am working on getting my stand of elite KBG germinated. I put a small "keep of the grass" sign along my property line that borders a house lot that's vacant and for sale.

My sign disappeared one day so I simply went to Home Depot and bought a replacement. The short part of the story is that one of the neighbors who lives down the street lectured me about the sing not being "neighborly".

How would you reply to that? I can tell you that his tone was more of "how things are around here...."

I've got some rabbits to pull out of my hat but wanted to see what other witty things people can think of as a rebuttal. I don't want to be nasty but I also want to send a message that I think he's offensive. Removing a sign because you don't like it is over the line.

Comments (50)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Tell him that next time he does it again, you're calling the cops.

• reelfanatic
    14 years ago

Punch him in his mouth!

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

"How would you reply to that?"

Well you could just say neither is theft, trespassing or messing up many hours of hard work you put in because the didn't want to or know to keep their kids/pets/selves off your yard while you're trying to get your lawn established.

Or you could get some friends, make some sandwiches, potato salad and a blanket and have a picnic on their lawn. Of course you should invite them after you set up. "Plenty of food for everyone! Just trying to be neighborly."

I had a flowering bush in my front yard. Near the sidewalk but you still had to take a few steps on the lawn to get to it. It was a small bush so only 3-4 flowers at a time but people would routinely walk up to it and pick them. I guess they were nice enough to at least leave one flower. I was just dumbfounded the few times I saw it happening. Didn't know what to say. I could understand if I had a whole row of them and wouldn't miss a couple here or there but when you have only one flower left on a flowing bush, it's just a bush. It was soon moved to another location. It's because of people like that that they have to make those signs.

Another option is to buy a tyvek jumpsuit, rubber gloves, goggles and a respirator. Suit up, fill up a pump sprayer with water and spray down your lawn when your neighbors are at home. Then put up those little warning flags along the front. Do that every day until your lawn is established and I don't think you'll have to worry about anyone on your lawn.

If that doesn't work, I like reelfanatic's advice.

• sebastonz
    14 years ago

I would look up the most harmful chemical that you could apply to the lawn, that is absorbed through the skin. Of coarse something that is legal to be laid down where you are.

Go over to the neighbors house and inform him that there was a reason for the sign, this is the chemical you sprayed on the lawn, and he was exposed to a potentially harmful amount just stepping foot onto the lawn to remove the sign without protective gear, and he should go to the hospital to check for poisoning... LMAO make him feel retarded for removing the sign as well as a 50$ wasted doctor visit possibly lol

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

reelfanatic, I would pay $$$$ to be able to smack the lips off his face.

I think in this case he is almost trying goat me into doing something so he can justify what he did. My wife is miffed as well but we kinda feel like we're in a no-win situation with how to respond. If I go buy 50 signs, then I come across as the jerk.

Get ready for this: When I told him that it's my property and there was nothing wrong with the sign, he told me that I am "entitled to my opinion." WTF?

I was watering my lawn ysterday and when he walked by my house I asked him if it's OK for me to water my lawn. He wasn't amused ;)

• wmblewett
    14 years ago

instead of just "keep off the grass" why not make a sign that says something like "fresh seed/chemicals, stay off grass"...

If you see a bench that simply says "stay off" or one that says "wet paint, stay off" which are you going to be more likely to take serious? Absolutely NOT defending your D-bag neighbor... it's just a thought.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wmblewett, unfortunately this individual has issue with the mere presence of any sign. What I don't get is why it bothers him so much to the point tht he'd actually lecture me on it. I wish I could have recorded his statements. This would have been a YouTube classic on jerk neighbors.

To say harassment is an understatement. My wife suggested we get a neon Budweiser sign and use it as the fixture on our granite light post :-P

• jacksnife
    14 years ago

Isn't it already trespassing and theft? It's not a civil matter it's criminal. If the sign was more than $20 bucks he'll go to jail (class b misdemeanor). They might even go as far as burglary of a habitation... especially if he has an attitude with the cops.

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

Little dinky sign? .... Hmmmmpf!

This is what I had to do.

{{gwi:100302}}

That is the only thing the Mrs. would allow, knowing that I have easy access to CAUTION CRIME SCENE - CAUTION HAZ-MAT and etc.

A couple 1 X 2's and a $6 roll of caution tape is all you need. Even children that are not of school age get the message!

I'm VERY neighborly - You and your little rig rats stay on your own property and I'll wave and say hello to you!

• auteck
    14 years ago

You can also buy one those Pesticide suits (they cost like $4) and a respirator along with a construction plastic helmet and goggles (you're going to look like an astronaut)and pretent you're spraying a highly toxic chemichal rated with Skull and Crossbones. You'll be spraying water of course, but they are not going to think that; specially if they have children and/or dogs. Do it on the weekends when everyone is outside watching to make sure they see you. Do it a few times in case some one missed you.

Also, use Gary's "do not cross" yellow tape right after the killer pesticide application.

And, if you really want to make it more dramatic, find some literature online about how poison pesticides can be to animals and hummans, print a few pages (make sure you state the source so is more credible) then distribute them around the neighborhood.

{{gwi:100303}}

Ok, you get the point, now go do it and let us know how it went.

Cheers.

• bermudatri09
    14 years ago

I would ask him for the sign back. Tell him if you can't get it the Law will be by to pick it up for you. You owe him no reasons for posting the sign. You paid for the land didnt you?

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Make your own sign:

Baby grass - if you don't baby it, I may not baby you.

Ha.

• thetman
    14 years ago

sorry to her about your dilemma-holy crap- why can't people mind their own business- I never understood why some neighbors just need to butt into everyone's business- I am usually to busy with doing my own thing to even care what they are doing unless it directlys effects me,-but I feel your pain- I purposely moved into an area somewhat away from others- but unfortunately the one neighbor I do have has been nothing but a pain in the butt since I moved in. I like the yellow caution tape idea though
    thetman

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Ha. Caution tape would be a bit overboard but it'd be funny to see your neighbor's reaction when he sees that. I can see myself doing that because kids wouldn't stay off my lawn. My lot was a corner lot and kids would take short cut across the front lawn that was newly sodded rather than going around on the sidewalk to the park. I once caught kids and told them to quit doing that. It worked. Otherwise, I would have pulled out supersoaker water gun on them....

• reeko
    14 years ago

It's amazing to me how someone can lecture you on being neighborly after trespassing on your property and stealing your sign.

I'm sure in his own mind he has spun it around and considers his actions as "maintaining the harmony and tranquility of the neighborhood".

How would I reply to that? I guess it depends on if you want any type neighborly relationship with this person.

I sort of agree with you, that's it's a no-win situation. Unless your neighborhood has a homeowners association that specifically forbids any type of sign I would simply replace the sign and if he say's anything simply remind him that the sign say's "Please keep off the grass". Not "Keep Out" or "No Trespassing".

Any normal neighbor would interpret that as an effort to grow grass and not meant to keep neighbors away. Remind him that your neighbors are always welcome to use your front walk when they stop by for a friendly visit. Your just asking then to respect your hard work and investment in your lawn.

Of coarse the key word to this is "normal". It sounds as if that may not apply in this case. That being said the best reply might be "good fences make good neighbors".

P.S. I'm curious, what do your other neighbors think of this person? Are you the first one who dared to deviate from the accepted practices of the block?

• lamcon
    14 years ago

You could make some REALLY fresh "milorganite"ish type substance and give his lawn a treat.

Otherwise, I agree with Organicnoob. The last thing you want to do is get in to a war of words. If you're establishing a lawn and have recently done plenty of other landscaping projects, most level-headed people will get what you're trying to do. It's not like bare soil isn't a clue.

You can also take the angle that you're trying to add "curb appeal" to make the neighborhood look nicer. That usually makes neighborhood associations happy.

Just rise above. You've explained what you're doing. Don't do anything that would alienate you from other neighbors. Let him do that to himself.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Do the "hazmat" suit (cheap white coverall from HD) thing with water AND mix some paste food coloring into the water so it goes on ghastly purple or orange.

The stuff will wash off, but it's scarier.

• P POD
    14 years ago

I'd cap those rebars, that're holding the warning tape, with tennis balls or with caps that can be purchased for this very purpose.

Reason: Eliminate the hazard of impalement. Someone on the public sidewalk could stumble and poke out an eye; reach for something on the ground and accidently poke out an eye (i.e., someone walking a dog drops the leash and reaches to pick it up); or when pulling rebars out of the ground, they can stick at first and then all of a sudden pull out and cause injury.

Rebars are great helpers in the yard but need to be capped for everybody's protection, including the homeowner's (and the homeowner's insurance company's).

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Get a sign that reads, "Please help me establish a new lawn by staying off a few weeks." Next to that another sign that says, "This especially means YOU, Bill Jones of 401 Pecan Lane." But as I type this I realize that if you don't have grass already, you are probably wasting your money on the grass seed. It is too late in the spring and on toward summer for new grass to survive the heat.

I like the ScareCrow sprinkler. It's a little expensive but very cool. I wonder if there is a way to hack that sprinkler so that several sprinklers could go on at the same time??

You might also set up a hidden camera and then have movie night for the neighbors to show what's going on. If you go to the police they will tell you to work it out yourselves. They have more serious things to do.

• hsvcara
    14 years ago

That ScareCrow sprinkler would be perfect for when he comes to steal the next sign! HA!

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

> "Please help me establish a new lawn by staying off a few weeks."

For a few weeks only?

Perhaps the neighbor would share the property taxes once the lawn is established then?

>"It is too late in the spring and on toward summer for new grass to survive the heat. "

What heat? The OP is in Maine, Dave, where winter in not a season but a way of life. He probably has tulips/daffodils in full bloom, 2200 miles from TX. A couple days of 80+ degree air temperatures would not harm the seedlings because the soil temperatures would still remain favorable.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gary, you pretty much nailed it :)

I live in Southern Maine about 4 miles from the coast. You can literally plant grass on July 4th and establish a lawn.

I am on day 20 and starting to see things coming in. The KBG is coming in very slow. It's 55F and damp from rain yesterday. It's actually too cool right now for my little green buddies. In my case I think a couple 80F days would help speed things along.

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

Came back to give a more serious answer.

With those people that like to give their opinion, one tactic is to turn it around and ask their advice. In a non sarcastic way ask: "I put in a lot of time and effort to try and get a good looking lawn this year and I need to keep traffic until the grass gets established. What do you think would be a good way to accomplish that without offending anyone?"

He'll probably give you some advice which will either be good or bad and you can take it or not but you're changing the dynamic of the conversation so that he gets to feel important which seems to be his deal.

If he continues to be a jerk then punch him in the mouth. :)

• schreibdave
    14 years ago

I think you need a new sign ... and a pit bull.

• jimtnc
    14 years ago

Yeah, I'd be curious also to hear what your other neighbors' take on this guy is. You might want to ask them how they feel about placing that temporary sign while your new grass gets established. After that and if it's in your favor I'd have a nice chat with the guy like some have already posted to mend fences. If that doesn't work, then punch him in the mouth.

We all know how much effort and cost it takes to get a nice lawn going. Hell, I have to re-seed mine just about every year since I get hit with so much fungus, etc, and that's not cheap either.

• kevingalaxy
    14 years ago

Hey thats nothing! My mother-in-laws neighbor took it upon himself to come into her front yard and actually start ripping out her flowers and cut down a small old tree trunk!!!! She has not done anything but isnt this totally illegal? He is an old guy but still??? He dug up some strawberries and veggies she planted along the side of her house also??!?

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

Next time they come to take your sign just pick up your M1 Garand WWII rifle and walk out there and with your best Clint Eastwood voice, point the rifle right at their head and say, "Get off my lawn." You could record the clip from youtube and play it for them. Check out the link. Pardon the french used in the clip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get off my lawn! Clint Eastwood

• waelwell
    14 years ago

Get your portable sprayer out and fill it with a mixture of ammonia and liquid lawn fertilizer. Make a 3am raid on your neighbor's front lawn. Hold the sprayer a few inches from the grass and paint the lawn with a word or two to describe your feelings about your neighbor. If the neighbor's lawn isn't well fertilized, your word will grow deep green and very fast for a few weeks. If it's a well fertilized lawn the excess nitrogen will burn the word into the lawn in the form of dead grass.

Have fun!

• mike9
    14 years ago

Get another sign, put on gloves and rub crushed poison ivy leaves over over every square inch of the sign so he'll regret touching it or electrify it.

• hsvcara
    14 years ago

I vote for mike9's poison ivy suggestion.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

don't put out signs or even act like you have hazzardous chemicals on teh lawn. he calls the EPA/DEQ and YOU have to prove you do not.

i would go get a few rolls of that ugly orange temporary fencing and put it all teh way around teh perimeter of the lawn. tie wrap signs saying keep out every few feet along the fence. once the grass is up and established, LEAVE THE FENCE UP until you just really feel like removing it. he don't like how a sign looks, he will boil over at the hideous fence.

• mike9
    14 years ago

Catch the thief red handed lol.

• mike9
    14 years ago

Actually it would be smarter to drop it and rub it vigorously into a poision ivy patch then tell him later a you droped the sign he stole in a patch of posion ivy by accident and he should return it.

• mike9
    14 years ago

You coud also tie fishing line to your sign and a number of hidden party popers to the line so i will start walking so many feet than yank very loud POPOPOP! Might crap his pants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_popper

• mike9
    14 years ago

I meant leave several feet of slack on the line so it doesnt pull till hes walking out of your yard with the sign in hand.

• mike9
    14 years ago

I suppose you could also attach the line to one of those electronic keychain things that screams at 120db when the key is pulled out.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

What heat? The OP is in Maine, Dave, where winter in not a season but a way of life.
    Good point Gary.

I like davidandkasie's idea with the orange fence. He can hide a sign when he steals it but he can't hide 30 feet of orange fence. Just to tag along with his idea, you could hang half empty beer cans on it so that it spills on him if he picks it up and rattles if he drags it away. Oh and you could stake it down hard every few feet so he has to make a huge production out of pulling it out.

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

The solution is simple.

Just put up two signs.

Sign 1: Please Keep Off The Grass

Sign 2: Please Don't Steal the Signs

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

Well, not all your neighbors are like that...every block has its idiot. The trouble is some idiots are nuts and who knows what they will do! I'd put your sign up again and ignore him.

• tryintobeagdneighbor
    14 years ago

As I search for an answer to my question on "keep off my lawn".
    All the post I have read me feel better about feeling the way I do
    About our lawn.

First , I agree with everyone answers to this complicated question;
    To be a good neighbor is one thing but to have respect from the neighbor is another.
    What has happened to that word, RESPECT?

We moved into a wonderful neighborhood and we have a wonderful flat front yard, park like to be
    honest. This was one reason to buy the home. BUT after a year of being here our neighbors use our yard to play kick ball, practice their kidÂs soccer, a gathering place for our neighborÂs kids to hang out with their friends when they are visiting with them. We are not at all happy when we come home, or look out the window or go to leave and there is a party in our front yard with the mom sitting in our driveway watching? A must tell on the neighbor, their house sits on a hill front and back. And to add, we have kids ourselves that donÂt like this.
    Any advice would be so helpful!!!

• metal
    14 years ago

I have an irrigation system and can set multiple start/stop times. If there is a specific time they tend to congregate and you have a similar system you can set it to go off for just a few minutes every half hour or so. Maybe they would get the point.

• dontknow
    14 years ago

tryintobeagdneighbor & maine_lawn_nut:

Have been in both your shoes in our last house (and for some reason believe it'll happen in the new one) and I empathize with you both. Kids used our yard as cut-through and used part of it to play ball.

We became enemies of some of the neighborhood parents. The other parents who knew better were spectators, agreed with us but could do nothing.

Everything became: "you're picking on my kid" / "your house is a target" / "no one likes you" / "why did you move into a neighborhood" with no logical explanation of why they should be in our yard to begin with. One of them was an insurance agent by trade and when we approached it from the liability angle, they still didn't get it. How some parents have become so stupid and ignorant, along with a sense of entitlement - I'll never know.

Besides being disliked, we established barrier rows of thorny shrubs (roses, barberry, etc...) that grew well in our area and provided additional beauty. Since we like shrubs - it worked out for the best. It only served as a preventive measure - it did not resolve the issue entirely.

In our new house, we have a few "cut through" issues here we need to deal with as well. Thorny shrubs along with a trellis it'll be.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

The neighborhood and even my own children call me the Lawn Nazi. I'm fine with it - makes me giggle.

Anyway, this is my Father's Day gift ... another giggle!

{{gwi:100304}}

• tryintobeagdneighbor
    14 years ago

Thank you for the beautiful ideas. We love rose bushes.

As we looked at the corner of our lawn yesterday, to put a barrier of any kind between our properties. Could post a challenge.

Our drive way runs parallel with this neighbor then our yard begins, then runs to the curb of course. When coming out of our driveway,It might cause a distraction for us and oncoming traffic.

To add to this frustration my family was standing outside watching a Storm brew, the clouds were amazing. Guess who comes out of their garage walked onto our property and starts coaching their child. No kidding.
    They had an audience so they came right in front of us and no words of hello or talk of the storm,
    I spoke up and said hello do you have practice tonight? With this storm coming it will be canceled
    The reply was, "oh no, she just has to practice every day for 20 mins". :(

Sprinkles start to drop so we came inside and they continued till the rain drove them away.

• dontknow
    14 years ago

tryintobeagdneighbor - that's amazing but not too far fetched from our prior experience. We actually had parents park their car in our driveway while waiting with their kid in the car for the school bus. When we tried backing out, they could of cared a less that we couldn't get by.

Like yourself, no introductions, hello's or anything. That one was a little easier to put an end to.

Can you block some portions (up to the street anyways) with shrubs?

Perhaps start a new thread with a picture of the current layout and ask for ideas.

If we could see it, new ideas may arise.

• newhomeowner-2009
    14 years ago

You know, even out in the middle of nowhere, where we have our house, people can be inconsiderate. A few months after we moved in one of the neighbors stopped by with her dog, who preceded to use the lawn as his/her bathroom.

It is not unusual for lazy homeowners to drop off their trash at roadside, right there on private property. You see the garbage bags all over the county.

• dontknow
    14 years ago

That's too bad. Inconsiderate people with dogs are a whole other level of experience. We've dealt with that as well.

We want our next place in the middle of nowhere so I guess I'll need to keep this in mind as well.

Please start a new thread with a picture so we can offer suggestions. Perhaps the Shrub forum may be another place as well.

• tryintobeagdneighbor
    14 years ago

Metal--If we had an irrigation system---that would be brilliant idea. We live in an area rain is sufficient.

garycinchicago--the sign is GREAT! In the past we have put a darling dog metal stick that says "NO" and that made things worse and disapperad. So newhomeowner-2009 that is a tough one as well.

dontknow--your correct it brings being disliked. But I am beginning to think more thorny, darling 3 ft.fence lined front yard.

I do not know how to add a photo...

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gary, that sign made my day!! If I put that sign up, my neighbors will sheot. They'll probably take it seriously and call the cops. My lawn, my sign, and now I was the "jerk". Nice.

A year ago they were crying hoping someone would buy the last lot in the neighborhood. I move in and in 3 months complete full landscaping and seed an elite KBG lawn and then get hell for putting up a keep off the grass while it germinated. No good deed goes unpunished.

I was going to be nice about it but now I have an "F-off" attitude. Maybe it will change over time but for now, GET OFF MY LAWN ;)

• mike9
    14 years ago

If someones dog kept pooping on my lawn i think i would scoop it up put it in a box and mail it to them. They would open that box and then never forget it lol.