Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirkasaurus_rex

Lawn Fungus or not enough water?

dirkasaurus-rex
16 years ago

I have blotchy, not round or regular brown spots in my lawn. The lawn is being watered every other day for 20 minutes and is quite thick and lush. The leaves are not showing signs of stress. The weather recently got warm (mid 90's) and dry over the past couple of weeks.

It was suggested that I have a fungus, although the neighbor's lawn adjacent to mine is not showing the same signs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Why are you watering that often? Does your lawn even need that ? It's the best way to promote harmful fungus growth.

Water them very deeply and very infrequently. 1-2" every 1 to 3 weeks WHEN NEEDED. If they are wilting all over, it's time to water deeply to promote deep root growth.

• kachinee
    16 years ago

Do you have a large dog, like a Golden? He could be using those spots...

• auteck
    16 years ago

Does it look like this?

{{gwi:100362}}

{{gwi:100363}}

{{gwi:100364}}

• duk748
    16 years ago

YES!!-i have this exact problem w/ my kbg in ohio - could someone please post an answer to how to correct this problem?? - i posted earlier about re-seeding in the fall & this is what i have to correct - ny help would be appreciated - thank you

• mattherb182
    16 years ago

I could be wrong, but that does look like urine spots.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Put up a sign warning dog owners to keep dogs off the lawn. I've seen those small signs at some houses. I thought it was funny since my dog did his business there in the past.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

Here is my two cents. Especially the top photo is just like what I have had in the past and most important for the purpose of comparing notes on what it is, it is where I have had it. Right by the concrete. An "L" shaped spot by sidewalk and driveway. The lawn in question was a KBG/PRye mix. Mostly KBG. Early in the season it would look great. Then, as the hot weather arrived, it would turn brown and get "crispy" no matter the amount of water applied. I tried cornmeal without success. I tried a funcicide one year without success. An additional complicating factor is that it is on the side of the yard, so it doesn't get the same spray pattern from my irrigation system. I use a soaker hose to get it some additional moisture.

I'm always trying to figure out if that area is getting attacked by disease because it gets too much water, too little water, water at the wrong times (system set to water early AM, soaker hose usually used late evening.) I do know that one year it popped up right after my system controller went bad and watered every morning for about 9 or 10 days.

Once it starts, there is no curing it.

My conclusion, right or wrong, was that it was some kind of fungal disease that attacked the grass near the concrete where it was hotter and/or alternated between hotter and wetter/drier than the rest of the yard because of the concrete soaking up and storing heat.

FWIW, I frequently re-sodded the problem areas to try to get them going again. Same luck every summer. I finally got tired enough of losing that battle that last fall I put in a strip of fescue sod along one of the areas next to the concrete the width of one piece of sod. So far it is actually blending in well with the other grass and is showing no signs of fungus/disease. Of course, its a little early for the problem to show yet. It usually waits for the heat of late July to get going. Plus, we've had a cool summer here so far.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

There is another similarity. My problem area, is also on the down side of the yard. Maybe the water is migrating down to the concrete where it hits that barrier and stays moister longer? Doesn't drain as much because the concrete acts as moisture "cap"?

I have one other spot that has that kind of problem. It is on the lower edge of a flower bed that probably causes it to get more subsurface moisture.

Some combination of heat/concrete/moisture is involved. Not quite sure what, how or why.

A theory that I've considered is that because of the c the subsurface moisture in those areas most of the year the KBG roots don't have to or are not able to go as deep. So, when the extra dryness and heat of summer stress the grass in those areas it is more susceptible to fungal/disease caused by moisture on top. Kind of a catch 22 in other words.

Well, as you can see, that is one of my main aggravations with my yard. I'd be interested to see what other's thoughts and experiences have been.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

Any ideas?