Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my lawn garbage?

Posted by sincraft none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 14:39

My lawn is full of weeds, white clover and dandelions. I recently killed off a majority of the dandelions with a great spray that is in concentrate form. On second pass, I was able to nuke the flowers only so far of the clover in this test area.

However, the clover areas are actually my only GREEN areas. The rest of my yard is already brown. It hasnt gotten above 85 here this year yet, and for the most part has been only around 70's for a high.

My neighbor had the same type of yard. He called in a service and they sprayed. He also had someone come out and aerate his lawn and overseed. I overseeded and it yielded nothing; however I did not aerate.

Could one year of a couple of spray sessions and aeration make that much of a different? His lawn is green, lush and full. Mine is sparse, growing more weeds than grass now, and is 50% clover :(

Not sure what to do first. I know no where that I could have soil tested to add things to make it better. It seems very dried out to be honest however, it has been very mild and we have had an ok amount of rain. 1 out of 7 days of solid rain followed by 68 highs - 78.
Perfect grass growign temps I would think.

I should also add that I cut twice a week, never cut more than a bit off, and I cut on the highest setting on my lawn tractor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my lawn garbage?

Where do you live?
What kind of grass do you have?
What is your watering regimen (frequency and duration)?
When were the last two times you fertilized and what did you use?
Have you ever used herbicide or weed n feed products? When?
Have you ever used insecticide or fungicide? When?

You are over thinking this. Growing grass is really easy once you get the hang of watering right, mowing at the right height, and regular fertilizing. We'll get to that after you answer the questions above. Can't give you anything but really general thoughts until then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here