Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green2014_gw

edge of lawn problem

Green2014
9 years ago

there is little green grass along the edge of lawn. what's wrong with the patch of lawn? what should I do to heal it?
Thanks

Comments (6)

• joneboy
    9 years ago

Water it. That edge is dead and gone, but if that is the edge of a bed use some mulch to help hold some moisture there.

• Green2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joneboy. we have sprinkle system there, and that area is the lowest area of the lawn. we water them twice a day. Do you think it's lack of water or over-watered?
    thanks again.

• joneboy
    9 years ago

Unless this is recently laid sod, you should not need to water twice a day. That particular edge does definitely look dry. Next time you have this problem just take a pocket knife and cut into the turf and remove a plug to determine if the area is dry or wet.

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

Looks like it's laid over gravel and so the water runs right through it and it's not rooting both.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Sort of all of the above.

You should not be watering twice a day. What you have is a sod that has tiny roots. They are tiny because they don't need to dig deep into the soil to find moisture. If you had been watering deeply and less often, the roots would have grown deeper and would be getting moisture from the cooler deeper soil.

Secondarily, and exacerbating the problem, you have rocks at the edge. Rocks collect heat during the day and hold it into the night. That keeps the soil and roots warm and increase evaporation all night long. This is very common next to hot sidewalks and especially where the watering is too shallow.

Ideally this time of year you should be watering once a week. Before you dismiss this whole idea, the successful lawn growers in Phoenix water once a week until the temps get into the 100s when they go to once every 5 days. Similarly I live on the edge of the Texas desert and today (June 17) I am watering my lawn for the first time this year.

What you would have to do is wean your lawn off the frequent regimen and extend. Start by watering longer. You should get some small cat food or tuna cans and time how long it takes to fill those cans. That is your target time for watering. It might be 30 minutes or it might be 3 hours or more. It is different for every hose sprinkler combination. You should work your way toward that target time on a once a week basis when the temps are higher than 90 degrees F. When they drop back in the 80s every day, then you should fall back to watering once every other week.

Deep watering like this is sometimes the only thing holding a lawn back.

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

I really liked the Saguaro Cactus desert yards in the Tucson area.