Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianv_

Sudden bonanza of cut grasses. Should I compost or mulch?

Brian
9 years ago

Several times per year. the township runs a tractor up and down the local roads and cuts the ditches (to ~1ft long). They just did it today, and the ditches on my road are filled with 18" - 3' long cut grass, reeds, you name it. I can collect a huge amount even within wheelbarrow distance of my house.

So... what's the best thing to do with it?

I have a lawn which is hurting for nutrition and likely needs improved organic matter content. To that end, I've started a decent hot compost pile to tackle the worst areas with eventually, and have been feeding it by 'farming' a section of ditch for long clippings to throw in it along with my house waste and a fair bit of ripped up cardboard and newsprint for browns. It's cooking away now (too hot to stick my hand in the middle), and will be done within a week or two.

My thoughts are that I can mulch this whole new batch of greens and mix it into my compost pile when I next turn it, although I'm afraid that would cool it down too much. Or perhaps I can start a new pile.

Alternatively, I could spread this cut grass over one of my worse sections of lawn, and mulch it in as a direct 'green fertilizer'.

Given the goal I've stated, what's the best thing to do with this grass?

Comment (1)