Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmab

Bermuda seedlings

azmab
10 years ago

Live in AZ and the Bermuda is on the move with new growth producing seedlings. If I should remove the 'flower' portion and plant it instead of purchasing seeds, will the seedlings grow and produce new Bermuda grass in barren areas?

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if bermuda seed heads are sterile or not. But I do know that bermuda will spread 10x faster simply scooting over and under the ground than it will if you rely on the seeds scattering.

If you have seed heads you are not mowing low enough and not frequently enough. You should be mowing at your mower's lowest setting or one notch higher. And you should be mowing every 3-2 days when the grass is growing fast and every 4-3 days the rest of the growing season. Letting the seed heads form is the ugly part of having bermuda. If bermuda never got those seed heads a lot more people would be growing it. It is not a lazy person's turf.

Find the Bermuda Bible online and memorize it.

• azmab
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply dc......

You got me. I do have the mower set high, but do so because of a bad experience last early summer. Went from highest setting to 2 notches lower after 3 days of high setting mowing and the entire lawn went yellow. Regardless of how much or little water I gave it, it stayed yellow for the rest of the summer.

Now when you say "simply scooting over and under the ground" exactly what do you mean? I will read the bible, but for now I'm in prime runner time of the year in AZ and would like to follow your recommendation. Amount of water?

Thanks again for your help.

• rager_w
    10 years ago

Bermuda spreads along the ground thru stolons and rhizomes. That is why it's so dang hard to kill or keep out of beds. It will grow across my sidewalk if I didn't edge it. But it's also one of the greatest attributes of this grass! What can I say, I love the stuff.

This post was edited by rager_w on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 19:31

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Not if it is hybrid Bermuda as all hybrid Bermuda seed is sterile.

• azmab
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the followups. Good info. But how do I go from a max height setting on my mower to, let's say 1 inch, without torching out the existing grass for the rest of the summer (like last year)?