Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherm1082

Do I need to seed my bermuda?

sherm1082
10 years ago

Hey everybody. This is my first post but whenever I search anything about taking care of my grass, I always look for posts from this forum. I have always had a fairly decent lawn but I have started following the Bermuda Bible this year. Only thing is I missed the time to put down pre-emergent (Dimension) which I will be sure to do this year as my yard had some poa in it. Luckily the NC heat has pretty much killed it off.

Anyway, here's my predicament. Long story short, I had a spot on my yard that constantly stayed wet. After digging and having city engineers and inspectors come out to look at it, they think I have a natural spring in my yard. It's coming from under the foundation. My friend and I installed a french drain along the problematic area by the foundation and I am trying to figure out what to do with the parts that were dug up. (The french drain appears to be working). I rented a sod cutter in an effort to save the grass I had where the trench was dug and had mixed results. I put back down the strips that came up and I am fairly confident the bermuda will fill in the voids around the strip and my lawn. My main concern is the spot on the side of my yard that was totally destroyed by the digging and muddy ground. I tilled it in an effort to give the grass a chance to fill back in. The pic is before I tilled it. It's such a big spot though I don't know if I need to seed in that area. From what I have seen on here, the general consensus seems to be not to seed bermuda because of the quality of seeds. What do you guys think about the bare spot and what do you guys think about the spots along the fence?

Here's some more info in case it is needed. I live in the Raleigh, NC area and my soil is predominantly clay. I cut my grass twice a week and I think the height is around 2". I have a rotary mower and that is about as low as I can get safely and my grass does well at that height. My front yard was sodded bermuda when I bought the house new. The back and the side were fescue. I had someone sod bermuda about 3 years ago. I do not know the species of bermuda.

I have included pictures of my front yard, back yard, and problem areas to give you all some more info. Thanks in advance for the help. God bless.

{{gwi:100679}}

{{gwi:100680}}

{{gwi:100682}}

{{gwi:100683}}

Comments (6)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Sodded bermuda is Tif 419. If it was anything else, you might still be making payments on it.

There aren't any good reasons to seed common bermuda into sodded bermuda. The seed varieties of bermuda are all common. Tif is a hybrid that is nothing like the common. If you mix in seed into the Tif, it will look weedy. Here is a picture of some common just getting started in a stand of Tif 419.

{{gwi:79336}}

The common is a different color, has different shaped blades, and tends to sent stolons (runners) over the top of the Tif.

If you had read an eensy bit more here you would have learned not to rototill. That was a mistake because it brings up weed seeds and because it stirs up the soil requiring 3 full years to re-settle into a good soil structure.

If that area is back in the dark of the building and fence, bermuda won't grow there anyway. At least it won't thrive. It might remain very sparse. You might have luck growing Diamond zoysia in there. Diamond it supposed to have good shade tolerance and is supposedly easy to find on the East Coast.

• sherm1082
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. I read it a few days ago and have been meaning to respond.

After I tilled it, I did see the recommendations on here not to till soil. I really don't know if it mattered in my case because I had pretty much tilled it just due to the fact that I dug it all up when trying to find the water issue. When it dried, it was literally hard as a rock and I don't know if any grass would have been able to break through without it being tilled. Oh well.

If seeding my bermuda is out of the picture, what should I do? Will the bermuda eventually fill in that large void? Also, do I need to do anything to soften the soil? It's softer now that it's been tilled but it got kind of hard again when it dried out.

Last question is the strips in the back where I laid the sod are really starting to come in some. Since putting the strips down, I have fertilized with milorganite (slow release) and Lesco 46-0-0 (fast release) and it seems to have given the grass a bit of a boost. I am afraid it may be unlevel though. I just saw an outstanding write up from somebody that leveled his whole front yard with sand. Should I level these spots as it fills in? Is sand the best thing to use or some sort of topsoil?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

• chaoticut
    10 years ago

The question would be time frame. It will eventually grow in, but it's gonna take a while.

You could always put down more sod and level it out a bunch in the process if you want immediate results.

From my understanding you always use sand to level.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Just get a roll of Bermuda sod you might need two or three they're cheap $5-7 a roll. Cut squares out around 3" and start filling in those areas. It will look better than seed as you have some very definable areas. If you have some thining areas you can aerate or slit seed with Yukon which was my preference.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Bermuda is extremely well known for its ability to spread and cover the lawn, garden, driveway, deck, etc. So, Yes, the bermuda will fill in. In fact if you go out now, it will be more filled in than your pictures posted above show. All it needs is water and monthly fertilizer.

For immediate results, get more sod. As mentioned, it is pretty inexpensive. Be sure you get Tif 419 sod. You should not be able to get other kinds but be safe and ask.

• sherm1082
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for your responses. The bare spot is already filling in along with the spots by the fence. I just need to get some sand to level off near the fence because I can't mow that spot without scalping it. My memory may serve me wrong but NC has been more mild and rainy compared to past springs/summers. That is really helping the grass as well.