Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norman444

Summer... Seeding?!?!?!

norman444
10 years ago

Oh, goodness... i eff'ed up a bit and am looking for advice- basically, leave it dead, put down seed and water like heck, and sod (least appealing).

The plan WAS to seed in the spring here in the metro-Detroit area with a nice TTTF- it's no secret that water is getting to be a real issue; around here water rates have doubled to tripled, and the climate ain't cooling. So I want to water a lot less. So, TTTF.

The story -
In mid April I killed the lawn- roundup.

Got soil testing done, and I have a vague idea what it means (my professional background includes plant sciences, bio, chem, etc.... but detailed recommendations didn't come with the $20 Logan test...) and I'll muddle through.

The problem is that I got really busy with work and kids for the last month. Now it's June, and I'm sure my neighbors are wondering what kind of A-hole I am to besmirch their neighborhood with the now-grey yard. OK... not so grey now- lots of sedges and crabgrass coming up. Nothing a hard reapplication of roundup shouldn't kill. Followed by roto-tilling.

So- given the time of year, I ask the combined wisdom here... what to do?

The wifey can live with it being dead for a while, but I would like to make some progress now that I have time.

so-
leave it till late summer/fall??

Seed anyhow, pretending it's spring, and just water like crazy when it gets too hot?

Spend a grand or two on sod?

Thanks much in advance...
Michael

Comments (2)