Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

St Augustine lawn-weed control applied and grass damaged

santamiller
9 years ago

An elderly friend of mine in Dallas told me that she started with a new lawn care service recently. For some reason they put down a weed control when there were no weeds about two weeks ago. SInce then her grass has stunted, no growth at all and there are two small patches where the grass appears to be dying. The temps were in the 90s when they applied it, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or of maybe they put down an improper weed control or just what happened. There is one section of the back yard that they did not treat as that area was locked when they came and the grass there is growing well and looks fine. I wanted to post here to see if I get any thoughts before I contact them for her.

Comments (2)

• agrocoders
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Actually, I'm sorry to recommend tightening the purse strings in such an economy but you might recommend if she attend religious services or some type of social club to ask for someone in her neighborhood at those functions.

They are liable to have simply applied too much weed killer in an area and killed the grass.

As her friend monitor the service for her and help her make new arrangements if need be.

Since I've been on disability I have a budget so tight that every time I need to buy something I think it over, over and over.

And furthermore, before I moved into this house (by the way I save money compared to government HUD rent and will own this house in 15 years although most home buyers lucky for me scoffed at this house as it's not a new one and requires minor improvements) I lived in government HUD apartments and the government housing professional caretakers were frankly a negligent disaster. In fact the Somerset Housing Authority lost a 3 million dollar law suit after they had residents pleading to remove a large unstable tree but they ignored the pleas and the tree fell on an innocent pregnant woman and killed her. They actually have the nerve to appeal the decision but I expect they'll loose. In my time there I had to complain repeatedly about the neighbors dropping heavy things all day and night on my ceiling and infesting the apartment building with bed bugs! I also called the police on several occasions. I witnessed professional exterminators come in a spray a squirt or two of insecticide in the apartment knowing that was useless. I told them about trees and plants growing to the apartment gutters where the grounds maintenance was so negligent and a year later no change. I watched the meter readers fabricate false meter readings for both electricity and natural gas. I had to go to their office and challenge the false readings. I had to good to their office and file complaints against the exterminators. I had to go to their office and file complaints against the neighbors. I eliminated the bed bugs and roaches myself by cutting off the central heat and not using the gas stove for 3 months and washing everything multiple times, including the inside of the vents with Pine Sol. The roaches and bed bugs simply avoided the cold and Pine Sol and stayed in the neighbor's apartments that weren't killed by the Pine Sol and lack of food not that they need much.

The above are 'services' from college educated professionals in service to the US government so help out your neighbors when you can. A university professional isn't smarter than you. They are simply educated in a niche that you aren't. And look at US government in Congress and the President and Wall Street and tell me you're going to listen to them and accept everything they say automatically? No way! They sound like the banal comments section on YouTube or 1/2 dozen other web sites. And these lawn service give people with no experience and often no real interest in horticulture jobs caring for lawns simply because they applied for work.

Lots of times you don't get what you paid for.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What would you expect them to do at this point? They can't spray something to fix the lawn. All they could do is refund her money. But they will want to spray something because that's what they do - spray stuff. And they don't want to give back money, so I'm not sure what to say.