Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polar993_gw

Planning to setup inflatable bounce castle on lawn - what to do??

polar993
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm a newb on this forum, but this seems like a great resource of information, and I am happy to be new member.

So hereâÂÂs my questionâ¦..I have ordered a large inflatable bouncy castle for my sonâÂÂs upcoming birthday party, and I plan to place it somewhere in my backyard on the lawn. What can I do to prevent the lawn from getting burned or damaged? The castle will probably be on the grass from 10am-6pm under hot conditions.

Last weekend I setup a large slip-n-slide on the grass to test it for my sonâÂÂs party, and it was only on the lawn for about 6 hours and the lawn is noticeably burned! I think it will recover with some heavy watering and possibly some organic fertilizer, but if any of you have other suggestions, please let me know.

Given that the slip-n-slide burned the grass so quickly, I am definitely afraid of burning or damaging the grass with the inflatable castleâ¦..though for some reason I donâÂÂt think the damage will be as bad with the castle as it was with the slip-n-slide!.....and BTW, I will NOT be using the slip-n-slide again!

Most of my lawn is predominantly Kentucky Blue (sod) and a few areas mixed with Fine Fescue in the shady areas.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• rager_w
    10 years ago

I've had similar experiences. I think the slip-n-slide actually magnifies the sun. I have had a bounce house on my yard for 24 hours and the grass didn't brown. It sure did with the slide in much less time.

• MarioTx
    10 years ago

Wow I'm in the same situation. We are having a large inflatable water slide for my sons bday party next month. About 1 week ago my wife set up the slip n slide for my kids in the backyard which is seeded common Bermuda. Let's just say the end where the pool sits at the end of the slide pretty much killed the grass. It was only out there for about 4 hrs.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

That is very interesting about the slip n slide. Not what I would have expected due to the cool water running over it. Mud pit - yes, brown grass - no. KBG is probably trying to go dormant as opposed to dying out.

• polar993
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The slip-n-slide totally ruined my grass! I took this picture last night! It's gotten a lot worse in the past 24 hours! I don't know if it's salvageable, but what should I do to help treat it?

I was thinking of lightly raking out the dead grass, applying an organic fertilizer, and over seeding it while watering it a lot.

Do you think that will help???

I'm so pissed!

• MarioTx
    10 years ago

Glad mine is Bermuda so I know it'll recover. I had bare spots about 10'x5' that I seeded that I could have just let the existing Bermuda do its thing and spread in to fill in. Hey, just look at it at what it is just grass. You can always replace it.

• Crystal Elschner
    6 years ago

Our bouncer is a wet/dry one with a bounce area and a slide. The only part that burns the grass is the part that holds water (that does not blow up) so literally a lining of plastic. It does not burn the grass under the bounce or slide areas. We have the pirate blaster from blast zone Canada. We also have direct sun all day long. I was wondering if I tarped underneath that part if it would help stop the burning of the grass or if filling it with water would stop this? I don't think it can really be avoided. Just to note: The grass does come back it basically only seems to burn the tips. I can send pictures if necessary.

• Lawanda Brent
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Had I known the slip and slide ruins grass, there's no way I would have allowed it on my lawn. Super pissed. Can someone tell me what to do to turn it back green.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    5 years ago

I think it's just the plastic/liner laying directly on the grass and heating up in the sun to cook the grass below. The heat has no where to go. Your bounce house shouldn't cause the same issue.

When building my pond years back... I had dragged the black liner out to the lawn to do ruff cutting on it. I was only on there for 20 or so minutes before being moved and it cooked the grass a decent about. Not as bad as your slip and slide... but it was amazing how fast it happens on a sunny day.

• Tom
    5 years ago

Bluegrass has rhizomes, which don't die easily, and continue growing new leaves when the leaves on top are damaged. Apply a mild fertilizer- such as Milorganite, keep the area moist, but not soggy, and if you want, spread a 1/4 layer of organic top dressing over the area.

• dchall_san_antonio
    5 years ago

Lawanda, where do you live and what kind of grass do you have?