Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Lawn without fertilizer?

Posted by walt1 7 a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 15:59

Hello,
Anyone know of lawn application that will green up a lawn of TTF with some Bluegrass without having to use fertilizers?

I've used "Ironite" in the past but still could not get a good lust green color....plus it's expensive!

Maybe something Organic??
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance
Walt1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Lawn without fertilizer?

Go to the Organic Gardening forum, find the FAQs, scroll to the bottom of the list, and read the one called Organic Lawn Care FAQ.

Where do you live?
Is the lawn mature or recently seeded/sodded?

Here is a picture of a lawn in Eastern PA that is only fertilized with organic ferts. Pic was taken in July of 2010 when the neighbor's lawns were going dormant. Grass type is Elite KBG, but he gets the same results with his mother's contractor-grade KBG.

Now I have to admit that this guy takes his lawn care more seriously than anyone...ever. But you can likely have similar results without going to all the trouble he goes to. He waters once a week, mulch mows once a week, and fertilizes with organic fertilizer. He does not use herbicides, insecticides, or fungicides on any regular basis (if at all). You can do all that. The cost to maintain a lawn organically is just about the same as with chemical ferts and all the -icides.

What he really does differently is tests his soil repeatedly. And he adjusts the chemistry of the micro nutrients of the soil to reach turf nirvana. He claims his soil chemistry is the reason for his success. I believe the adjustment of his chemistry might make it a little easier to maintain, but not that much easier.

My favorite organic fertilizer this year is alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). Why? They cost less than the other favorite ingredients including corn meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, and cottonseed meal. The application rate for these fertilizers is 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. You can go up to 80 pounds before you smother the lawn, but that amount won't hurt the grass otherwise. The grain type fertilizers are very forgiving. Milorganite is another favorite organic fertilizer. I don't use it but other people I respect swear by it. Follow the bag directions on that. You can get the grain fertilizers in plain brown bags at your local feed stores. Read the FAQ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here