Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preen killed grass

Posted by jeanniemarie Wisconsin (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:27

Landscaping around the house, removed mulch and layed down some preen. It rained heavy and the preen ran off and into the yard killing a large patch of grass. How long before I can reseed this area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preen killed grass

It should state on the Preen Instructions and Cautions. My mom and neighbors uses it an the weeds eventually come back same season so it's not long lasting. She's taken to often using white vinegar and Preen afterwards as cheaper and more effective than Round-Up and something that will last a couple of months.

o

Sorry to hear about that. Can you stretch to the end of summer before seeding? Seeding in summer is the very worst time of year for new grass. The grass doesn't become sturdy enough before the heat gets it.

But if you had mulched the area, why did you Preen it? Wasn't everything dead under the mulch?

o

We removed some bark mulch under some large windows in a solarium because artillery fungus developed in the mulch. It is impossible to get rid of this fungus and when the spores shoot more spores onto the windows and siding it is very difficult to remove. We are going to put decorative stones here instead. The Preen was to keep weeds from growing during the transition. A large patch of grass is crispy brown after the Preen runoff.

o

I was actually going to use mulch but have changed my mind because of all the loose cats that wander the neighborhood use the mulch as a little box.

I will plant up tightly in English lavender and fairy roses were I want to mulch instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here