Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does herbicide last on lawn/weeds?

Posted by freyja5 8a (BC, Canada) (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 16:28

Our lawn was sprayed with liquid herbicide this past week (I don't know specifically what was used, but they told me to stay off it for 24 hours). However, it will not kill the veronica, which I wish to now pick out by hand.

Sorry if this seems a bit paranoid, but how long should I wait before I go ahead and do this? I fancy I can still smell the herbicide at times as I walk by the grass, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's just my imagination.

I'll definately wear gloves to pick out the veronica, but I wasn't sure if I should wait days, weeks, etc. to minimize any risks. Given the experience, how strongly it smelled, and what I've recently read about such chemicals, I'm a little wary of now poking around in the grass. Needless to say, I think I'll be hand pulling my weeds from now on!

Would 5 days be enough, or should I wait longer? I've watered once since then. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does herbicide last on lawn/weeds?

It's safe when it's dry.

o

I was looking into using a neighbors clippings to add to leaves in the fall for compost and was wondering if it would be ok. The information may be helpful.

Some herbicides breakdown quickly, other's don't. One thing I read said you shouldn't use grass clippings treated with herbicide in compost or garden mulch all season long. This one indicates you have to wait at least 3 mowings another indicates that dicamba (Banvel is very slow to break down and that if grass clippings that were treated with dicamba are used in a compost pile, that compost should only be used on the lawn.

Not trying to scare you, but it's important to know what was used before deciding how long to wait. In most states, you have to be licensed and take regular tests to apply these treatments so whoever applied it should be very familiar with it.

I recommend you give them a call, ask what was used, how much was applied, tell them you are planning to hand pull the veronica and ask them how long you should wait.

I thought most places required applicators to give you an instruction sheet after an application that would also indicated what was used. At least tell you when to take the little flags out :) I guess not every place is the same.

o

• Posted by freyja5 8a (BC, Canada) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 10:13

Thanks organicnoob,

I will call them and see what they used and tell them I will be pulling by hand. Their instruction sheet just called it a liquid herbicide and said to keep pets and kids off the lawn for 24 hours, don't mow for 72 hours. It didn't say when to take the flag away, so I left it up for a few days after the 24 hours had been up.

o

Don't you have paper works from them showing what would be used, etc?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here